Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB usage data

Options
  • 12-10-2023 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭

Recently set up ann account with ESB networks to monitor usage. I can download a hdf file which has usage in kilowatts for .5 intervals.

If I add up all these values should it be equivalent to my total usage in kilowatt hours? Or do I need to divide by two as it is in half hour increments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

Yeah, you need to divide by 2 to give you the kwh value.

kwh = kw x time in hours

so = kw x 0.5hrs OR = kw/2

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Wiggy

When I try to download the HDF, it seems to be restricting me to one weeks data per download.

I'm pretty sure this wasn't the case before.

Anyone else seeing this, or am I doing something wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭John.G

Can you post a screenshot of a portion of that hdf file.

I wouldn' be too sure that that's the correct intrepretion of it.

IF it shows the energy consumption in kwh every 1/2 hour then to get the average power in kw for that 1/2 hour you X by 2, but to get the total usage you add up the total of the 1/2 hour periods. if you have a record of say the last 48 1/2 hour usage then you summate them to give a "daily" consumption. IF you could switch on a 3kw immersion then (assuning nothing else on) the 1/2 hour reading will be 1.5kwh but the power usage is 1.5X2, 3kw.

You are incorrect. The half hour reading for your 3kW heater will be 3kW

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's the thing though, the value in the HDF file isn't the usage in kWh for a 30 minute period as you might expect, it's the average power in kW over that 30 minute period. It's easily verifiable if you have a big load like a car charging and look at the figures in the HDF for that period.

Here's an excerpt from my HDF file when I started a charge at 23:00 on my car (a PHEV so only charges at approx. 3.6 kW) showing it clearly. The "Read Type" column in the HDF file even states explicitly "Active Import Interval (kW)"!

I see a recent small change on the website in that you can now display the usage graphs in "Calculated kWh" instead of kW presumably as a result of people complaining, so they're obviously aware of how it's confusing some people. The HDF file is unaffected though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,280 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

I don't. My EV charges at approx 7.2kW and the half hour data in the HDF file is 7.2kW

No it isn't!! It's 7.2 kW average power over each 30 min period. Like I said it even says so in the text. Going by your reckoning it would have used 14.4 kWh in a one hour period which is impossible.

I know. It wasn't my reckoning, it was John.G's above who reckoned you should double each half hour entry instead of halfing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

This is a classic kW (power) vs kWh (energy) misreading, the assumption was that the ESB give you energy readings, you know,like what the meter directly records. But for some reason they calculate half hourly power readings. So to get the energy used you need to multiply by the time period in hours, the same as dividing by 2, to get the energy used in every half hour period.

Looking at my data there are a lot of intervals missed so I have lots of hour, 2 hour, 6 hour etc periods which makes using average power a pain, if they just gave kWh you could sum everything up without having to think about the time involved.

Exactly, and add to that the odd way they give the power readings for the 30 minute period prior to the timestamp instead of after. You can't even combine all the readings for a specific date and divide by two to get daily consumption because you'll include the last 30 mins of the previous day and miss the last 30 mins of the day you're interested in. They couldn't have made it more confusing if they'd tried.

Post edited by Alun on

Certainly confusing, if you could note your meter reading at the end of any 1/2 hr period and then note it again at the end of say 4 of 1/2 hr periods, then compare the meter consumption with the sum of the 4 periods and see what you get?.

IF one uses 12kwh per day (24hr) then thats a average of 0.5kwh per hour. If the exact power usage was 0.5kw then presumably that power reading above would also read 0.5kw and to arrive at the actual consumption involves dividing by 2? 0.5*1440/30/2 = 12kwh?.

I suppose all its telling you is the average power demand for any 1/2 hour period.

I suppose all its telling you is the average power demand for any 1/2 hour period.

That's exactly it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,280 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I suppose all its telling you is the average power demand for any 1/2 hour period

Is it not a bit more than that as this is the number used for billing.

Any of you add up the monthly or two monthly and align with bill data?

Intel and other big users are billed on average power consumption per second.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

And because, as per post #2, kwh = kw x time in hours then kwh = kw*30/60 or kw*0.5=kw/2.

Its a pity the smart meter doesnt display the kw, you can calculate it as the LED flashes 1000 times/kwh, I generally take the time in secs for 10 flashes, the calc is (number of flashes)X3.6/time in secs, for example if it takes 18secs to flash 10 times then the power, kw, = 10*3.6/18, 2.0kw. I think you can buy a device that just reads the LED flashing periods, does the calculation and displays/updates it probably every 30 secs or so.

For smart tariffs, it's unclear to me exactly how the electricity companies get the data they use for billing.

When I was on a 24hr tariff, I could see every 2-monthly reading on the ESB website, and these, of course, corresponded to the value used for billing purposes, but once I switched to a smart tariff, all that stopped.

The electricity companies clearly have access to the same data as found in the HDF file, so as to be able to provide the fancy usage charts on their websites, but whether they also use this for billing is unclear. I'd say it's unlikely mainly because adding up all those 30 min values over 2 months would lead to cumulative rounding errors, so I assume they receive 2 monthly readings as before, split into day, night and peak usage, but I don't know.

So whereas before I could check to make sure the readings used by my provider were correct, I can't do that any more. I could cobble together a spreadsheet or some other tool to analyse the HDF file but I'm not sure I can be bothered.

Have you, or anyone, compared the total 2 month billed amount with the actual metered amount used?, at least that would give a good idea of the sampling periods which may be as low as 2secs. I have a smart meter but its still read bimonthly and I also submit the readings, of course since the meter now only displays whole numbers unlike the old Ferranti meters which displayed 1/10ths kwhs so don't even know if the actual meter itself is accurate but assume it is as my billed usage hasn't changed since installation. There is some info on mine when/if I press a button, the total, 1646kwh, and 2 other numbers, T2,1126kwh, T2,140kwh and T1, 379kwh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

A bit of guesswork here, but I think the reason it's presented chunks of half hour averages is due to the ad-hoc way the meters report data. AFAIK they report the register values for day night (and peak?) and export total kWh every update but the updates across millions of meters are staggered so not exactly on the half hour, and some updates never make it through due to reception issues or whatever. So if you were to plot the usage between updates over time it would have random timestamps and random length time periods and look messy. They average the data over half hour chunks to tidy it up and make it more user friendly. Personally I'd like access to both data sets.

Any idea of how often they measure the consumption for billing purposes? Or can they take the actual "readings" directly from the meter somehow or other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Period May-July is spot on in my bill..

takes a lot of messing with Excel to get it in usable format, still havent got it for the total (8 month) Hdf period yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭staples7

Anyone have working to link to interpret the ESB HDF file?

I used https://onelv.retool.com/embedded/public/ee29e65c-fc32-492f-8baf-e4a3312a22c0 but no longer working

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

Energypal.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭bog master

I was told by ESB Networks that they supply smart meter readings to Electric Ireland and there have been instances where Electric Ireland made mistakes as my meter reading approx 2 units over four hours when there was a total blackout. You can get meter readings from ESB Networks if you sign up on their home page and readings are kW or Calculated kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Whether you get kW or kWh in the download seems to depend on which company you're with. I'm with BGE and the 'interval value' number I get for each 30 minutes is described as 'kWh'.

So to see the total energy consumption (in kWh or domestic units) for one hour, I would need to add a pair of the numbers and to see the average power (in kW) I was consuming in one 30 minute period, I would double the number.

Example: if the number from 18:00 to 18:30 is 1.5 kWh, it means that the average power of my combined appliances during that 30 minutes was 3,000W and if the number for the following 30 minutes (18:30-19:00) was 0.25 kWh, it means my consumption dropped to 500W. And during the hour, I consumed a total of 1.75 units (kWh).

Post edited by coylemj on

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

very odd that the HDF file has not been updated since the 23rd and the days prior to it are incomplete. its as if storm isha scrambled the system. 

coincidentally we received a flogas bill yesterday with no units, just the government credits. not sure if its my smart meter, esbn or flogas that's gone haywire. 

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

Advertisement