Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We can't find any valid proof of address for my wife despite living here for +3 years

Options
  • 12-10-2023 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi,

We are a married couple. 2 children, both born in Ireland. My wife is a homemaker, and all the household bills are to my name.

We are trying to get a mortgage with BOI through a broker, and we can't find anything that BOI would accept to prove her address. We have tried a lot of documents, all shoot down, so I would appreciate some ideas, because we are getting desperate.

Things we tried:

• Health insurance: She's in my health insurance policy, but letters are addressed to me
    • 123 car insurance: Our car insurance is to her name, but the broker says that "a renewal letter is not valid", and that's the only document 123.ie provides (it's called "renewal and schedule letter".
    • Letters from Department of Social Protection (child benefit)
    • Driver license
    • Bank statements from her Revolut account

Isn't there a definitive solution available to someone like my wife? Like some super-specific "proof of address" document provided by the Garda, the DSP, Revenue...? Or some letter saying that she lives with me, and we are married and have two children?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭frank730

you can easily change your utility bill to joint names and ask the suppler to reissue last bill with both names.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Pinchucoto

Generate a P21 balancing statement on revenue. Assuming you are filing your income tax return return with her as a homemaker, she should get a letter addressed to her from Revenue about the same.

Also I find it strange that Revolut statements are not being accepted as a proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Nickla

Could she request a balancing statement from revenue or check her pension contributions - they would post that out to her in a few days. its surprising they're not accepting letters from the department of social protection. Is there really nothing in her name - TV licence, a savings or credit union account, mobile phone bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.

Sorry to hear this. Please see the attached link for necessary documents needed for a mortgage application.

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/borrow/mortgages/articles/mortgage-documentation-checklist/. Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Niamh.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 syrgian

That's what we are trying to do. But customer support from Virgin said that they can't reissue a bill, and we might have to wait 1 month.

You cannot proceed as you had no job or pension on record during the year.

Mind you, we just got married this year (because covid made things hard), so she got registered with revenue at the beginning of the year, when we reported the change in civil status to revenue.

We can't generate anything in revenue, as she just got registered at the beginning of this year. All sections show empty and some even crash.

No TV license, no household bills, just 123.ie insurance renewal document that they don't want to accept. Her bank account is a revolut ireland account, which they don't accept. She does have phone on her name, but it's pay-as-you go, so there's no invoice.

That says

You may also be required to provide identification documents and confirmation of your address. This is usually a current valid Passport or Driving Licence and recent utility bill.

So not very helpful. I wish someone had told me to arbitrarily distribute our household bills rather than have them under the same person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Children's allowance is generally associated with the mother, perhaps there is something there?

• Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1 briancodysmind

I had to do this recently. Frank730 is right. It should be easy to request your spouse is added to a bill and then reussue the last bill. Electric Ireland did it for us over the phone and reissued straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 syrgian

Hi!,

Solved it just this morning, by just a few days: I added my wife to my Virgin media bill and it was generated over the weekend. If I had not requested the change on Friday, we would have had to wait an entire additional month (and since we want to close early next month, it would have been a huge hassle).

At first I requested them to replace me with her, which they said they couldn't, but luckily they added her no problem.

Thanks you all for the ideas, and my recommendation from now on, to couples that might look into buying, will be to have both names in all the bills that allow it.

We tried. They said that's a "personal document" that they can't accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

It says a lot that the government can entrust you with the care of children, but BOI cannot trust you with an account.

Advertisement