Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Master bedrooms WIW - expected ?

Options
  • 12-10-2023 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Do people expect all new build master bedrooms to have a walk in wardrobe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bfclancy2

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

All depends! If it's a two bedroom 90 m.sq. house....no. If it's a five/six bedroom 300 m.sq. house....probably yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I don't think they do.

WIW still a nice to have rather than an essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Mackinac

Thanks, our house is 205 sq mt, it’s a linear upside down house to take advantage of the sea views. Upstairs will be kitchen/living/dining and the master bedroom. We have another option of a less linear design that incorporates a WiW but then the downstairs living room is much smaller in that option. If I have to make a compromise I’m thinking a better sized living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Your wife might disagree 😉

I've never seen one on a house, but if it's something you want then go for it. It's your house so why not add the luxuries you want

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,093 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

depends how many bedrooms and how large the house is.

Probably on the border if nice to have and silly not to.

To be fair are much more important considerations that dictate a house layout. WiW is secondary as best.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Lots of considerations and things to prioritise around this, I think.

Do you prefer to move all the storage of clothes, shoes, coats etc out of the bedroom, which either frees up space for other things, or just means the bedroom is smaller or feels less restricted?

Would you like to put some kind of vanity table in the WIW too, to keep hairdryers, makeup etc out of the bedroom and bathroom?

Do you want to include storage space in the WIW for linens, spare bedding and so on?

How much time will you spend in this mythical WIW? Does this amount of time justify 'stealing' the space from other rooms that you may foresee spending more time in?

Will the mental calming effect of clothing/storage/makeup clutter being contained be worth the use of the space?

I’m with you on the stealing space from a more useful space. I’m not going to sit in a WIW so would rather have the space in a living room where it’s more useable. Worried if we ever had to sell it people would expect to have a WIW.

I am the wife🤣 I don’t hoard a terrible amount of shoes and clothing which is why I’m probably on the fence about having a WiW.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'd lose the ensuite instead of a WIW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Walk-in wardrobes are aspirational partly because they're fundamentally wasteful and inefficient.

In a normal bedroom the floor space is used for both physical access to storage and sort of "amenity space". In a normal WiW the floor is simply used for access. Given a fixed amount of floor area to work with this results in a much smaller bedroom for a given amount of WiW storage.

That said, if you have the space to burn there's something fundamentally restful about a space whose walls are not dominated by storage, and I also find I sleep better in a smaller room.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

You are going to have to store the gear somewhere so the WIW is one way: those I have seen on my BER and other travels vary in all shapes and sizes, the one constant is 85% of the spaces is hers, so maybe reclassify as WWiW.

It also depends on is it just a WIW or will it include a make up area with natural light from a window or is it a WIW with a dressing area or both.

A simple model I have seen is that the ensuite is accessed through the WIW but it is just a corridor of wardrobes on both sides, maybe 8 by 600 wide each side in a 1200 wide corridor.

Others are corridors with the make up area at the end, so a cul de sac.

Tho one constant I have seen is that the master bedrooms and associated en-suites are all too big.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bfclancy2

if your house is 205 sqmt you should have more than enough room for a WIW, bedroom is far more restful as another poster has said when there is no storage

Totally agree about the lest cluttered look.We have an 8ft length of floor to ceiling built-ins put in the plans. Was thinking of something sleek and handleless in pale oak or spray painted to match the walls so it would blend in - something along the lines of the picture not in that colour though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

We converted our ensuite to a wiw, everyone is different obviously but it was a great decision for us, the bedroom is not cluttered, there's natural light in the wiw so no struggling to find clothes in a dark wardrobe and everything has a place in there.

We're a 2 person household 185sqm thou so we really didn't need the ensuite, the plumbing etc is all still easily accessible if we ever do want to convert back it's would be an easy enough job

• Registered Users Posts: 39,093 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

TBH, it just looks like a standalone tall wardrobe sitting in the corner. If you want it to look built in and seamless. You should build it into the wall.

A full height door is more seamless, but means the door is heavier. Considr the trade off with that and having a spilt door with storage above.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

😂 Sorry, my mistake

I think whether a WIW is useful is a question of whether you'd actually use it. One thing that's probably worth considering is that you can chuck the laundry in there when you aren't bothered putting it away. Possibly not a good habit, but sometimes you just want the clutter to go somewhere you don't have to look at it

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I'd say build the house that you want rather than the house that you think a potential future buyer might want if you ever go to sell it.

Advertisement