Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is a relatively new low mil car with several owners a bad sign?

Options
  • 12-10-2023 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

I’m looking into second hand cars and I can see cars from 2019 and 2020 with 2 or more owners but a relatively low mileage.

Between 30 and 50k kms

is this a bad sign? Maybe they’re passing because something is wrong with the car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Generally (but not always) an urban myth.

Plenty of reasons a car would have more than 2 owners in 3-4 years. Many early adopting EV drivers upgraded annually before prices went bananas.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭UnhappyCustomer

How could you identify that? Do you think is there any indicator?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Some of those cars could have been "Demo" models registered to the garage so would have at least 2 owners anyway. It would not overly concern me as long as there is a full service history and evidence that the car has been looked after. With a 3 or 4 year old car, I would tend to buy it from a reputable garage anyway so there is a little bit of peace of mind in the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭User1998

Nothing wrong 2 owners on 4 year old car. Probably nothing suspicious about 3 owners either, it’s just a bit less desirable when selling on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,847 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Could be a car that went from one family member to another, husband to wife for example

That immediately makes it two owners, and if it was bought second hand then it'll become 3 owners quickly enough

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭frank730

I am the 11th owner of my last car, it's a micra so people buy it to learn driving and sell it once they passed the test. car in perfect condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭loopymum

Run a history check

• Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Could be a person buying a ev and realising they don’t have a home charger or that the range doesn’t suit them

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pale rider

Lots of people are low mileage drivers, my 17 car has 3 owners and 74 kms and I’m the 3rd owner, I have it 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭gipi

Remember that during 2020\21 many people didn't travel (or travel far) due to the pandemic,so low mileage might not be a bad issue.

Could PCP deals explain multiple owners?

Or "selling" a car to a family member to avoid motor tax arrears?

Advertisement