Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing old fuse box

Options
  • 12-10-2023 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

My old fuse box needs to be changed. Although everything seems to be working fine, I was told by my engineer that I might have to change the fuse box to new one. I have got one quote of €16000 + vat from an electrician but I am not in a position to pay this much. Any suggestions on how to proceed ? Can I also get some grants or help? I am not above 60 age but I was wondering if I can get some help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭65535

Wow 16K - does that include a rewire of the house ?

Get more quotes and find out exactly what needs to be done.

Why do you think that the fuse box needs to be changed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

If the quote was by the same person that fitted the RCD and main switch, I think I would try elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Main switch is probably there 50 years

What's your issue with the RCD , looks like a "shower board " separate MCB and RCD

Needs a rewire probably anyhow tails and earthing system probably not great

Post edited by kirk. on

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Mod note: I deleted the posts on the other thread dealing with the same topic by the same poster as duplication adds no value.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 vkesti

Yes he says that house will be rewired but I don’t under why? When everything seems to be working fine

• Advertisement

Not sure who fitted this because I have purchased this house recently

Sorry can you tell me what’s RCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Doolittle51

Just because everything is working, doesn't mean that it's safe. The electrical installation is obviously very old and doesn't meet modern safety standards. It's entirely up to you if you want to replace the board. At a minimum there would also be remedial work required to the earthing system, tails to the meter etc. It's very likely that some circuits need to be rewired too. Over the years I'm sure many modifications have been carried out to add new sockets etc. Most electricians would recommend a full rewire of the house, because they have to certify and stand over the entire electrical installation. Some probably won't go near the place unless you agree to a full rewire and understandably so.

If you've just moved in and intend to live there long term, now is the best time to have the work done. You really need your eyes wide open and deep pockets when buying an old property. 16k probably isn't too bad for a rewire these days.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The device on the right in the lower enclosure with "Hager" written on it. Most likely this has been installed to provide "supplementary protection" to an instantaneous shower (such as a Triton or Mira). This device should trip in the event of an earth fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,566 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes that's a lot of money. Are sure it was €16,000 and not €1,600?

Is there an electrical shower I'm the place. If so the RCD could be for that but if not if for the sockets. An electric shower really should be on an RCBO especially with a FUSE BOARD like that. In a modern one it could be on an RCD and MCB.

All fuses do is protect cables from going on fire they offer no protection from a person getting electrocuted an RCD does that.

So yes I would try get prices off a few electricians.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I got a quote of over €2k to just remove (not remove and replace) and disconnect a fuse board like that.

RECs are taking the absolute piss these days

It's an add-on for a shower

I don't see any main fusing there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭10-10-20

This is an RCD:

It shuts off the power very quickly if there is a current leakage, such as if you got a shock off a hairdryer or something. You need one to protect all circuits in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,566 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Looking at the picture below I agree your right.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Yeah pretty sure it said €16000. I am attaching some more pictures here just for reference. Please let me know your thoughts. I am definitely taking some more quotes from other electricians

nice one can you share the contact details of the electrician with me via a personal message? Will be thankful to you for this act of kindness

It probably needs a rewire anyhow

You've the old style DP main isolator/fuseboard with a shower add-on board

Possiblity of overload or fire hazard there by the look of it

Thank you everyone for all the comments and suggestions. It was really helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 8 equigs

This is typical from Irish electricians. I did mine myself. It's simple really. Just take photos first and label everything. Keep the lights and sockets neutrals on seperate busbars. If you need to relocate the new consumer box, buy a wiska relocation kit. Piece of piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Ya sure why train as a spark when you can just google it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭10-10-20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

He has a point in that these tasks are simple

He's limited by what he doesn't know , which is the main problem with his post

He replaced the board and everything works

So all is good in his mind

Advertisement