Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arrest in Tina Satchwell disappearance case

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

I had a read back over the timeline of her disappearance and the various interviews given and it’s interesting and if you make certain assumptions, the details and some of the interview content just jumps off the page.

he is innocent until proven guilty so we must wait and see what happens and let the gardai do their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Deeec

Its bizarre how Richard dealt with the media. Most people would not give live interviews.

The only other people I can think of doing this was Joe O Reilly and Ian Huntley - we know how both these cases finished up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭Caquas

Wrong.

It is rare to get a murder conviction without the body but there is no rule of law against it and it has been done.

Most obviously, it can be proven by a credible witness who can attest to the murder even if they don’t know how the body was disposed of.

Or forensic evidence can establish that the victim was attacked at a place and time where the accused was present and no alternative explanation can raise a reasonable doubt in favour of the accused.

I assume neither of these possible solutions were available to the Gardai in this case but it may be that some new evidence has been uncovered. It doesn’t have to be a body to get a conviction in this case. There doesn’t even have to be a witness to the murder or forensics, as in this case.

Post edited by Caquas on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

That poor lad whose wife killed the kids wanted to go on the late late

I mean if your wife kids etc actually went missing you would of course do it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Deeec

But Richard really goes too far in his interviews - he should be just pleading for her return or some information from the public.

If you listen to his interviews he actually runs Tina down and says how great he is - thats the tone of his interviews. Thats not how families of missing people behave in interviews. He gets way too personal in his interviews which is not necessary.

• Advertisement

You are wrong, firstly this is the UK

Secondly the prosecution of this case is extremely dubious relying on jailhouse snitches to claim he admitted he did it

The whole thing was a complete cockup by the police in the UK and was swept under the carpet

But if you admit to killing someone then there was a body you disposed of it

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Olympush

You would have to wonder why there wasn’t a deep forensic search of the house done long before now. I wonder how much evidence would be left 6 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

If they find her remains in the back garden, you'd think that's curtains for Richard

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

They wouldn’t get a warrant for that deep a search until it’s upgraded to a murder investigation. It was a missing person case until now and there was no real evidence that she was murdered. She could in theory have just left him. Something new must have come up now which has changed things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

But they must have dug this garden before.

They were suspicious of the husband from the beginning, I imagine - and that is natural, from the mere statistics if nothing else.

I kind of recall reading that they searched the garden at the time for signs of recent digging etc. I mean, it would be absurdly negligent to NOT have done so, even then.

Yes, there must be some scrap of new evidence pointing to this upgrade and renewed search. Body-buried-in-own-garden is almost TOO obvious, surely? Like, how did they miss it until now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

Could he have disposed of a body bit by bit over time? If you have a freezer and you’re handy with a saw…

The cadaver dog will sniff out any signs of that kind of thing.

I have shown that you are wrong to say “no body, no murder”. As I said, it is rare but there is no rule requiring a body to get a murder conviction. You just need sufficient other evidence - witnesses, forensics, circumstantial etc.

The UK case shows you don’t even need an eye-witness or forensics, circumstantial evidence can be enough if it is sufficiently compelling to exclude any other explanation.

Or are you saying that cases in the UK (and everywhere else?) are irrelevant because Ireland has a unique and unwritten rule about murder which you have now announced?

yes they are irrelevant

i mean France is willing to convict someone on debunked evidence, is this relevant to ireland

if you admit to killing someone, in this case, under very dubious circumstances, then you admit there was a body. There is forensic evidence, then that is part of the body, no matter how small, if a witness saw you, there was a body at the time

even the case you used is a terrible example

It looks like they'll be practically taking the house apart inside as well going by press reports

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Really where are you hearing that.its pretty much straight out of the first episode of DES,denis nelson the serial killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

That's what I thought too ......but at same time I wouldn't be quick to dismiss anything.

Easy to forget in the "drama" of the situation, there is a relatively young woman in the centre of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

If there was a fresh patio laid/disturbed earth out the back while the guards were in and out of that house then they should be sacked.

You don't need to be Sherlock fcuking Holmes like.

its a neighboring property

youd have to question how hard they try on these missing cases, family members having to get cctv etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Looks like the Satchwells' house is effectively semi-detached with another house. The other house was sold in late 2020, presumably renovated then, and sold again in July this year. If you google its address you can find estate agent photos.. it has a lovely decking area out the back. Horrible to think of what its new owners are going through, but if any closure can be brought to Tina Satchwell's family, and justice served, it would (IMO) be worth it.

Epic goalpost-shifting!

First, it's a straight forward "no body = no murder".

Then it's "no body* = no murder" (*a confession = a body)".

Now it's "no body** = no murder" (**a confession and/or a witness and/or forensics = a body)"

You say other countries are irrelevant but why is Ireland unique?

• Advertisement

there's no goal post shifting

if you admit to the crime, you do the time

i mean why do you need to use a UK case as an example?

i'm sure you will admit this case you selected is extremely dubious

and why does this basically never happen in ireland and these missing persons cases never progress without a body found

no body no crime covers no admission you go rid of the body, which means there was a body, no one saw you kill the person, which means there was a body, no remnants of the body at the crime scene, which means there was a body. no cctv of you with the dead body

its tres simple

In Irish law, you are innocent until proved guilty (beyond reasonable doubt...by a jury...etc)

So we shouldn't speculate in ways that might be construed as libellous, just saying.

He'll have to be charged or released within the legal timeframe so any evidence should be available soon enough if its there.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,577 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The evidence will not be produced until the trial. He'll just be charged with murder on a day or dates contrary to Common Law.

I know thanks but if a body found on site...it starts the process

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭SharkMX

This is going to come to nothing. Its just the gardai trying to look like they have been doing something.

Shaking a few trees and see if anything falls out is them showing that they have been hard at work on it.

Just heard on the News that the man who was being questioned, has been released.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I’m not surprised. I think if they had something firm they’d have found it by now. Maybe they’re thinking he’ll crack, must have his tracks well covered. The Gardai must think he did but just can’t prove it. Probably lots of places along the coast there and into the sea you could dispose of a body if you really wanted to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Why did he take so long to contact the Gardai after she went “missing”?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement