Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not-vintage watch repair Dublin

Options
  • 10-10-2023 1:40pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I messed up while changing the strap on my Panerai, the tip of the screw sheared off and is now stuck in the lug with nothing sticking out to try and grab on to.

Can anyone recommend a place in Dublin who'd be able to get it out?

Edit: and for future reference, I imagine I should be using some sort of lube for the lugs - any recommendations for that?

Post edited by Eoin on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Ichrono or Dawson’s Jwellers or maybe the panerai store ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Did it shear going in or coming out?

What diameter is the screw?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

First two sprung to mind also, thanks.

It was when it was going back in - does that make a difference?

My cheapo calipers tells me the tube is about 1.69mm and the screw end about 1.39mm

Yea, we know it's not corroded in or stripped it's threads (assuming you installed it right before shearing)

There's options such as this that will fit. Worth a go as it will either work or won't and you won't damage anything. I'd hit it with a very small drop of penetrating fluid the day before going at it. Kerosene will work in a pinch or wd40 which is pretty useless but better than nothing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Nice one, thanks - I might give it a go. The lug is drilled right through, so at least I can attack it from either side.

If/when I get this sorted, what would you recommend to grease the threads in the future?

• Advertisement

Wibbs's gold standard, blue loctite. Put it on with a pin, a merest dab on the first few threads. It won't come undone by accident then, but crucially it prevents ingress of corrosion up the threads and stops galvanic corrosion where dissimilar alloys essentially cold weld together.

Get a decent release agent/penetrative spray on it first for 24hrs. Think of how satisfying it'll be if you get the bastard out:)

Much appreciated - gonna give this a go myself first, and hopefully not butcher it.

A good tip is build a tiny little well with blue tac round the screw hole. That way the drop of fluid remains there to do it's job and soak right in.

As it has drilled lugs using two of the tools, one on each side simultaneously (pressing against either end of the screw) stands you the best chance. Get the missus to hold it for you, the watch that is:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Rather than create a new thread...

I'm also looking for a service and minor repair, on a Jaeger Le Coultre Polaris automatic.

I'm aware JLC will do a full service for 650, and I'm also aware of the watch repair business in Kilkenny (Discussed on here elsewhere), but are there any other options, in Dublin, that people would currently recommend?

I noticed this crowd: Watch Repairs and Restoration

Any experiences with them?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Emily's gotten good reports before. Really knows her stuff by all accounts.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

I think it's sorted - many thanks for the tips! I know I've scratched the crap out of the lugs, but hopefully the threading is OK inside the lugs. Just in case, I have some spring bars that look like like OEM Panerai screwed in bars on their way to me.

I have the blue loctite as well - is it a good idea to use it if you want to change straps regularly, or only if you don't plan on unscrewing it too often?

Delighted you got it out!

Be surprised if you done threads in, I'm sure threading in a new spring bar would right it or you investigate which thread pitch is used you could then buy an appropriate thread tap and simply screw it and out slowly with some oil and all should be good again.

It screwed in just fine - initially it didn’t, but there were still remnants of the original screw in there. I got a very small file and carefully cleaned it out and all seems fine now. Thrilled to have gotten it sorted myself - thanks again for the pointers.

Have to wonder how much you would have been charged if you dropped it in.

Always a nice feeling removing something like that. On snapped exhaust studs I weld a nut on and immediately freeze spray it, a tap with a hammer and out they come. Uber satisfying.

Post up a pic of the watch?

Here it is - I changed straps again last night, purely for science, and everything seems good with it. I am curious to see how the spring bars work when they arrive though.

That's pretty darn beautiful Eoin and is perfect on that strap!

Advertisement