Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are there limited dimensions for permitted extension ?

Options
  • 09-10-2023 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I have been searching for advice and have found so much that I am now getting confused,so much is uk rules and mixed with Irish. So I hope some of you can put me back on track again. I have a terraced house (not end) in Tyrrelstown, Dub15. I want to build single story extension to rear,(under 40sqm limit) garden is approx 5 meters wide So i wand to build at least 25sqm maybe 30sqm. I will have sufficient space remaining in garden, at least 30sqm. So I have to come out from rear wall of house 5 or 6 meters. Is this ok or is there a limit of 3 meters for terrace/semi ?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

There is no limit as long as you leave 25 m.sq. open space/rear garden.

Just on a side note, check deeds of the house and/or original planning permission for the development, as for higher density developments, when granting planning permission, local authorities sometimes put in a planning condition that exempt development will not apply/no further development (i.e. extensions to existing houses) can be carried out without obtaining planning permission. I have seen that condition occasionly.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,855 ✭✭✭✭muffler

What DOCARCH said is correct.

Just for future reference, should you need to refer to it, this is the legal text concerned

Advertisement