Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Started playing in my late-40's. Finding it hard

Options
  • 09-10-2023 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭

So I recently took up golf about 6 months ago.

I've had a number of lessons (about 3.5hrs in total) with my local club pro. I've spend hours on the driving range and been out playing about 6 times so far. Sometimes I'll come back from the driving range feeling I've made a breakthrough and the next time I go out, I'm back to square 1.

I have to admit, I'm finding it hard. I was awful in my last round - probably as bad as I've played since taking it up.

I'm just wondering if this is normal? Am I expecting too much? How long for someone to become competent?

I just want to be able to play a round to a reasonably good standard - I'd be happy with the odd par and mostly bogeys per round.

Suppose I'm just wondering if anyone else has gone through similar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

The Range never transforms to the course as theres no consequences in the range plus you are hitting of mats better to go to a grass one if you can. But with golf you can go out one day and have the round of your life and the next not be able to hit the ball out of your way! 😂 Lessons will definitely help stick with it as its the best sport to play in the world imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Never mind starting in your 40s, or anything else, golf is just plain hard.

You've played 6 rounds so far, that's really too small an amount of time on the course to be thinking you should be becoming competent.

There are people that take up golf earlier than you did and might never break 90 in their entire lives on a course.

As Benny says, performance is also massively variable. Even look at Pros, they can have 10-15 shot swings from one day to the next and they do it for a living.

Don't give up hope. It'll be small wins and big losses, in all likelihood, trying to get to a place where your overall level is better.

You'll still have the same level of variability in performance, but you best and worst golf will hopefully improve.

Look at the areas where you can get quick wins and easily practice, like short game and putting, while you continue to bed in your lessons.

It sounds like you're taking a great approach, getting lessons in early. You just have to be patient, which is a lot easier said than done, I know

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I've gone through similar, though I'm mid-30s rather than late-40s. I played for a few years in my mid-teens, then stopped and started again this year. It's a hard sport. What you're going through is totally normal!

As Benny said, the problem with the range is there's no jeopardy. You're hitting a ball that's lying perfectly, and you're hitting it over and over and over again. It might take you 10 shots on the range to hit a straight drive for example, a minor tweak each time, but on the course you don't have 9 shots to figure it out, and there's about 15 minutes between each hit of it.

I personally find I get way more from playing rounds than I do time at the range. 2 hours playing 9 holes would be better than 2 hours at the range for me (2 hours at the range would be fairly mind numbing in fairness).

Getting pars and bogeys is hard tbh. Getting a par / bogey basically means playing a hole without making a mistake, for someone of our ability that's a lot harder than it sounds.

Just gotta put the bad rounds out of your mind. You're gonna have more bad ones than good when you start. When I'm having a bad round (which is often!) the way I look at it is there are still many worse places to be than on a golf course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

without specifics as to the problem who can give you advice

just keep playing if you enjoy it, its as much about figuring out what works for you than lessons in my opinion once someone has shown you the basics

This is down to time, it takes a lot of time to play, so fitting in practice is basically not going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭spuddy4711

40s gives you loads of time to crack it, I know someone who started in their 60s, never looked back. It gets easier, you’ll be happy with the

odd good shot, then the odd good hole, and sooner then you think, the odd good round.

Joining a welcoming golf society, like the Boards Golf Society, would give you an opportunity to see some great golf being played and pick up

some helpful tips, so well worth considering as part of your game plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Sometimes I'll come back from the driving range feeling I've made a breakthrough and the next time I go out, I'm back to square 1.

I'm 47, probably playing golf for the best part of 40 years

I can tell you, this will never ever change 🤣

like above lads say though, just keep plugging away. The more balls you hit, the luckier you will get 😎

Plus thats what the Handicap system is for! Once you join a club and get a handicap. Than every week you are trying beat it and get it down its like a drug 😂 and get small wins and before you know it you have improved a lot from where you started.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Thanks Folks - It is actually useful to hear that my experience isn't unique.

Ironically I am actually enjoying it for the most part. I think I just went through a crisis of confidence after the weekends golf - I was so despondent I was looking at my clubs wondering what I'd get for them on ebay.

I'll keep at it though.

All it takes is one golf shot to pull you back! 😂 I wouldnt be worried about score for a while. Par's are for the Pro's so to get one is good going! Thats why we have a handicap 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

great that you mentioned that you are enjoying it - If you can't score the way that you want to it can be very frustrating. You have to almost remind yourself that you are enjoying it.

My golf has been dis-improving over the past few years, but I still love it

• Advertisement

How are you playing your golf? I assume you're just paying green fees and tracking your own score?

Joining a club is probably the best way to improve quickly, you'll also get a proper handicap, but it's a large expense to start with.

Personally I just set myself small targets. Maybe give yourself a handicap of 36 and see if you can break 30 points to start with?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Yeah just green fees. There are at least half a dozen courses within a 30minute drive of me where you can get a round for between €20 - €35. I am happy enough with having that flexibility for the moment.

I'm playing with friends who have started at the same time as myself so we're not even tracking scores - we're just doing matchplay between ourselves.

I must actually keep the score next time I go but I dread to think what I went around in on Saturday.

I find my first tee shot can really set the tone for the round - I hooked it out of play on Saturday and it just seemed to send me down a spiral of bad shots.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Once you are enjoying it that's fine. Golf is a tough tough sport, there's a reason a handicap system exists. You walk out onto a football or a GAA pitch, the score is 0-0, you walk out on to a golf course and you're given a head start.

Another thing about the range is you may think you're hitting it fairly straight, but the same shot on the course might go straight into the rough. Even if you are hitting it dead straight on the range, the ball is only going where you are aiming it. At the range your reference is the end of your stick into the wide open space, on the course you could be aimed straight into a tree or bunker and you don't realise until it lands there.

Also it's not just about striking the ball as hard and far as possible, you'll score on and around the greens so practice on your short game will get your scoring better. Think about how many times you actually use your driver on the course, versus at the range. You might "tee off" 150 times at the range for 150 balls, but the most you'll tee off on the course is 18 (provos aside), the rest of your shots will come from various distances and lies. If you score 100 on an 18 holer, that's less than 20% of your shots are the ones you've practiced at the range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I'm pretty sure I was still missing the ball at times 6 games in.

It takes a relatively long time to find your own golf game for most people.

When I go to the range it is 80% drills,20% full shots

Lessons will help by cutting through trial and error.

Stay away from youtube swing fixes, they will all end with the caveat of go get a lesson but honestly just watching one will stick in your head.

Try to play with a better player. It will surprise you how little they hit perfect shots and how often they hit bad ones. They may have some decent advice as well, they cannot replace a good lesson but they may notice something in your alignment,grip or ball position.

In the beginning the scores will be high, take note of them but don't get hung up on them. Try matchplay to keep you interested in the game, it allows you to pick up if your hitting 8 from the woods etc

Try to enjoy the day your playing golf with your mates and you'll be a few years into the sport before you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

Stick with it Op. As many have alluded to above, golf is hard, even for the best. The main, and arguably the only important, thing is you're enjoying it. Forget your bad shots and take enjoyment from or remember the good ones, the good drive, the nice putt, the good recovery shot etc. The handicap system will help you compete and over time you'll start hitting a few more good shots than usual and a few less bad ones. Lessons are a great idea and will certainly speed up the process (even though its actually a never ending one !). Don't get too down with bad rounds or bad holes, the best in the world have these too - look at two of the very best in Koepka and Scheffler being taken in 9 & 7 in the Ryder Cup, it happens.

Also, get your hands on a copy of Bob Rotella's "Golf is not a game of perfect".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

One thing that helped me with driver was understanding how hitting off the tow and heel affects the spin on ball.

Also how setting up closer or further away from the ball affects what direction the ball will start on.

I would suggest to you instead of trying to hit the ball straight you pick a shot shape you want, a draw or a fade and try get that shape with each drive.

Get some impact tape so you can see where your hitting off the face of the driver.

Perhaps on the first hole you hooked, you placed the ball slightly more forward in your stance and hit off the tow causing the ball to hook out of play.

These things happen to even the pros but it's important to understand why it happened so you can try counter it on your next shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭mitchelsontour

Hi OP

A few ideas

Play from the forward tees

Aim for bogey or even a double on every hole to be your par to being with.

Find an iron that you're comfortable with as a go to play off the tee if the woods aren't working. A 5 iron down the middle beats an out of bounds or lost ball.

Putting and chipping - practice practice practice

Find a simple pre shot routine - one or two practice swings then hit

Don't be shy to use the putter from a good bit off the green

Play a bit of pitch and putt

Remember the good shots forget the not so good ones

Remember to come back and tells us about your first par/birdie/eagle we will celebrate with you.

One thing I forgot to mention that I changed was I stopped trying to hit my low irons. I don't bother with the 4 or 5 iron now, they're just too difficult to hit consistently.

Maybe try sticking to the higher irons for a while, better to sacrifice a bit of distance for consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Ive played a lot of different sports; most of them I take to quite quickly and easily - soccer, hurling, tennis, squash, badminton, track running, swimming whatever.

I dont know if I would call golf the hardest, but I would defo call it the most frustrating. And it is very difficult.

The thing with it is- to be good at it requires a hell of a lot of time. As in, the people who are good at it are playing 8 hours plus per week (or two rounds). Thats a lot of time to be at a sport. And they are doing that for years and years.

A breakthrough in golf isnt hitting a peach of a shot. I dont play all that much; but when I do - each round I will hit 8 or 10 shots that are absolute peaches, beautiful shots. But thats no good when the next one is sliced into a ditch. Consistency is the thing and that can only come with loads of practice.

As mentioned earlier - are you enjoying it. Where you are at in life, thats all that really matters. For me, golf is about the social more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭blackbox

If you are expecting to get a few pars and the rest bogies, you are expecting to be getting a handicap of around 15.

This is unrealistic for a beginner unless you are an exceptionally gifted sportsperson in some other sport.

When you get a handicap, even if it's 36+, you'll be able to play competitively with others - the handicap system is what makes golf unique.

You can then set yourself the enjoyable (and frustrating) challenge of bringing that handicap down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭zocklie

Just to echo what another poster said, dont be afraid to play off the forward tee's.

1 it will help with confidence after a while, and 2 it'll get you practicing more of the same types of shots into the green when on the course

I would also reccomend practicing chipping and putting, its the no 1 thing that will help you lower your scores and play better, and you can work backwards from there.

Remember even the best players have days where they play like absolute dogwater, its all about your attitude towards it. There will be more days where you feel like giving up, but there will also be days you think you might be able to make it as a pro, stick with it and enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

I started in late 40's about 7 years ago.

Was totally and utterly less then useless (some would say still am). If I got around sub 140 shots I was doing very well. Still nowhere near scratch (19 HC index) but happy where I'm at for time I put into it.

Made mistakes..."don't need lessons", "these 15yr old blade clubs about 2inches too short for me are grand", "be a man, use the driver always" etc.

If had it all over again I'd (Health Warning: takes time out of your life):

1. Proper clubs. Do not mean a fitting at this stage (that's probably greater the a year away) but at least get very forgiving reasonably priced clubs and don't be shy about it eg hybrids instead of 3&4 and even the 5&6 irons (my old 6 hybrid was soooo consistent, thinking of going back to it). Don't need the fancy new driver...go for most forgiving you are comfortable with...probably with a lot of offset. Some will argue no need but when i got proper wedges really helped the short game (see below).
    2. Lessons, lessons, lessons. Not every week but at least once a month over the winter. Start at the beginning (grip/stance to ball position/distance to putting to pitching to irons to woods) and work up from there. If not progressing/enjoying it don't be afraid to switch to someone new. Took me 3 pro's until got with someone I'm 100% confident with. Money involved but go for an "on course lesson" before start the season (April/May) if can.
    3. Ignore youtube lessons/tips. Personal opinion but wrecked my head for couple years. Looking at amateurs playing (eg golfmates) is great to see reality and how can be fun though.
    4. Driver: Leave the driver in the bag (most of time at least) until build up confidence (nothing worse then hitting 3 off the tee when at our standard), my preference right now is 5 wood and driver only when fairway is way open.
    5. Short game. Mentioned above a few times already but practice pitching, chipping, bump and runs, bunkers and putting...get this right from word go will shave s*&t load of shots off. Spend 80% time on this in garden/practice area vs range hitting crap out of balls. I'm massive fan of bump and run vs the sexy high floating it onto the green. Objective right now is get it on the green anywhere (vs other more likely outcome of duffing it 2 foot in front of you) even if means using the putter, if guarantees on the green use the damn putter. Saying that do need a bunker shot...back to lessons gig.
    6. Course Management: Goal is to get nearer the green from the fairway, if means going right or left to get there vs flying it over a 50ft tree 20 yrds in front of you so be it. Learn how to hit low ball under tree branches 40 to 100yrds (punch shot). Going for green from 230yrds is not going to happen and will probable end up in the doo doo or topping it...go pitching wedge and pitching wedge (or whatever is your 110 yrd club). Do not target the pin unless its in an easy position (rare). Go for middle of green and/or away from trouble like bunkers/inclines etc. Look up golfsidekick and breaking 100. Some good tips there.
    7. Resilience: Forget the previous shot immediately (good or bad) and focus on what your next shot is going to be. Strong believer in having a pre shot routine (that I would google/youtube) and imagining the shot in your mind before actually hitting it.
    8. Get to know your club distances (eg SW 100, PW 110...probably a lot less right now). Pro can help here and/or the new toptracer/trackman ranges that are popping up around the country will have options here. Short term objective: find what your ~100yrd club is and practice hitting that consistently... trust me on this one.
    9. Play with better players then you. Every month or so try and get out with a buddy who is a 4 HCI and ask him to keep an eye on me and suggest one small change. Works, one tip on putting this year saw me shaving at least 4 shots a round.
    10. Realistic goals: Break 120, break 100 etc. Get HC from 40 to 25 to 20 to etc. 2 pars in a round, no triple/quad bogeys in a round etc
    11. Attitude: Go out to enjoy, have a bit of a laugh with others, look forward to pints afterwards. You will have days you think you have gone way backwards (my last round being an example, nice front 9, 4 points on the back 9) but the cracker of a round is always around the corner.

Last one is probably most important one.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭JVince

similar but 50's and now after 16 months most rounds are in the 90's and handicap has gone from 32 to 25. Most of the improvement was in the past 3 months.

Joining a club and playing weekly (more often in summer) is probably the best way to improve. Combine it with a few lessons. Jump into any available grouping on the weekly comps and you will find plenty of people in the club that will give you tips as you go around.

For the driving range, what worked for me was using the club card and "playing a round". So 1st hole is 380 yds, Driver or 3 wood, then depending on how I hit it was a 6 iron or 7 iron next followed by pitching wedge where I'd target one of the range markers - followed the same process throughout and taking time between each shot. If the range has an outdoor area its even better as you can practice being in the rough.

I can tell you that once you start breaking 100, you really start enjoying it and that quite quickly gives momentum to break 95 regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

In my mid early 30’s starting on my 2nd year playing golf. I’ve broken 100 a handful of times, broke 90 maybe 3 times 4 max. Im very inconsistent but I’m on the up. Have come close in some weekend comps

• Registered Users Posts: 11 go1f

Hope you're seeing some improvements already OP.

I'm mid 30's here and planning on giving golf a good go in 2024. I tried the game growing up but never really got going. Have been out playing some par3 courses recently and loving it but haven't made the transition to the full course yet, bar a handful of rounds. I haven't joined any club yet, so no idea of handicap, but plan to take some lessons over the winter and get out to the range and play a few rounds, weather permitting. Going to join the Boards Golf Society too, if they'll have me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bobster453

Well @facehugger99 hope you have stuck with it and seeing improvements.

All great advice above

My tuppenny worth...

See the value in bad shots..problem equals opportunity in this game.Stuck behind a tree or in a bush take your punishment and get the ball back in play..no miracle shots.Then a bogey feels like a par and a par feels like heaven cos you managed the course well.

Consistency is about managing inconsistency well so expect and accept you will have bad shots..its what you do then that matters

Advertisement