Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I walked out of work…Need Advice

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Xander10

Is your last sentence, what I suggested in the first place? Albeit, a little less long winded

• Administrators Posts: 13,853 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

You hand in your 2 week's notice. You then continue to hand in your certs and then in 2 week's time your employment with that company ends and you stop giving in sick certs. You get your P45 and you move on.

You are out on certified sick leave. You don't have to work. If you happen to hand in your notice while out on certified sick leave then you don't have to return to work.

Even if you walked away today without ever handing in another cert what can they do? Are they still paying you your full wages while on sick leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Nickla

What advice is it you want and what would you like to see happening?. You obviously have a strong case against her, if you wanted to sue but it sounds to me like the owner and the business is struggling and even if you win she might not have any money to pay out. Its also possible that she could blame your brother for not giving you contracts and payslips if his job was to look after these things. There is no excuse for the way she is treating the staff but small businesses have been put under a lot of pressure with everything thats going on the last few years and it sounds like she relied heavily on your brother to run the business for her - without him she could be way out of her depth. What was she like to work for before?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Xander10

Me: Look for a new job.

You: Look up jobs and give two fingers.

I'll play spot the difference, then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Empathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,791 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Indeed.

We just disagree which sort of professional is the first port of call.

Solicitors will recommend taking cases. Councellors help work out what you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Sorry to read about your brother.

The fact is your boss is a cnut and nothing you can do will change that. Look for a new job where you will be appreciated. With all the staff leaving your boss is getting what she deserves.

Personally if it was me I would hand in a weekly cert while collecting my illness benefit at the post office 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Post in the certs.

If everybody has left who's running the shop and post office? Realistically you aren't going back, get counseling to help you with your brothers death. Get legal advice, you could go to citizens information. Do it quick before the shop goes bust because that's where it's heading. Try to get a new job and get on with your life. You aren't going to get some kind of victor here, you might get compensation but they'll never see it your way or that what they've done is very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

While the OP has been treated very poorly and unprofessionally by her employer, I fail to see what suing her employer would achieve.

Sure the no payslips and no contracts would get the employer a slap on the wrists and a small fine but apart from being treated badly the OP hasn't suffered financially.

Op you can leave anytime, you don't have to work your notice, find somewhere that will appreciate you and take care of yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Take an adjudication case to the WRC for Employer failing to provide Terms of Employment (Contract) and for failure to provide payslips.. It will be a small financial boost for the OP. Id also loom elsewhere. That level of stress isn't worth it.

Hope you get sorted.

Advertisement