Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross country running for children.

Options
  • 07-10-2023 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭

My 2 kids are doing their first cross country run today, they are 8 and 9 years old.

They do not have spikes. 

What would be the best alternative footwear - standard runners, Astro boots or even football boots (mouldies)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭peter4918

My son has started doing it in school in recent weeks and he has been using his soccer boots with the moulded studs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Same.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i hope modern football boots are far more comfortable, old ones were truly dreadful! what are the insoles like?

At a high level of x-country running, I'd obviously invest in the proper footwear, but at present if the kids are only starting out, I'd see how they do with footy boots before I'd splash out big money on spikes etc. They might lose interest in a few weeks.

I'd say footy boots aren't ideal, but if they are comfortable enough to run around a football pitch for an hour or more, surely they'd suffice for a few km on a run?

i use trail runners myself everyday, i love them, looking for a new pair now.

can understand not spending upfront, kids can lose interest fairly quickly alright, id just be concerned about long term foot damage, im very picky nowadays regarding my choices, but id really like to think modern boots are far better designed, jesus the old ones were truly awful, probably caused some damage to feet...

would it be worth sticking running insoles into the boots, or would they be grand as is?

• Advertisement

Well my son uses support insoles in his footy boots anyway, so he's covered that way.

Newer boots are a lot better, they ate very light compared to the ones you might have worn, but I'd say there is still a large number of kids out there running around with undiagnosed foot or support issues.

i have hill walking boots as well, as i do a bit of that, and by god most of those companies are truly awful with internal design, externally the boots are as tough as nails, but inside!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Our club has a big box of old spikes that kids borrow for races. Half the kids have their own half borrow them.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

A general pair of spikes (good for track and cross country) should cost you no more than 30 quid. SportsDirect/Decathlon kind of thing.

30 quid is still decent money but at least they are set then for indoor schools running and outdoor track running.

I started off in a pair of Hi-tech spikes and having my own pair of spikes really sold the sport to me.

Best of luck to all the little ones starting cross country.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭chancer007

any good sites for buying spikes online? Child still currently running in his football boots...haven't moved to spikes yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Sports Direct is what I've used. Selection is poor but their own brand Karrimor are waterproof (not muddy field proof).

I've had one fella running in spikes and the other one in his football boots and the one in boots actually managed to win a couple of races so the younger they are the less benefit spikes are I think. They both just started this year and its been great for them. Light racing runners should do for the track stuff in the New year but I can see the appeal of having your own spikes as being a good carrot for them to keep it up.

Advertisement