Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Retest - Free?

Options
  • 06-10-2023 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering if anyone can clear this up for me please?

Car failed NCT on 2 Visual Defects

got the work done, but i've got myself confused over whether I've to book a retest online and pay the €28

or

is it a case if i go over to the NCT centre and wait around they might be able to do it without the use of the lane?

The car failed on a lens for indicator repeater which is replaced and rust on the wheel arch, which the mechanic said could be checked from the boot

Any help appreciated, i've been sick all week and still obviously not mentally firing on all cylinders, so could use a definitive answer if possible, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭Goose81

Visual defect you don't pay and no appointment. Just drive up to the centre and grab one of the guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭lucalux

Hi, thanks so much for your reply,

So the website says "Free re-tests will cover minor visual items for example, replacement of windscreen wiper and registration plates"

but the two Visual Fails I have are classed as Major

Am I worrying over nothing and should i just go and try for a free visual re-test?!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

My understanding of visuals is that the car does not need to go into the lane and there is no need to book and no charge in that case.

I have had visuals a couple of times over the years but I can't remember were they described as major or not.

As the other poster said, it's a case of nabbing someone to come out and look at them for you. And then all going well, they will give you the cert.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think the replacement of the indicator lens is just a visual inspection of it flashing and doesn't require going through the test lane. The rust on the wheel arch I'm not sure of but if it's noted as a visual then that usually means no full retest.

Worth just going to the NCT for visual inspection of both issues and see how it plays out. Worst case they tell if it's a full retest which you will have to book anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

If it’s says €0 at the top of the fail sheet you just rock up at your own convenience and get your cert. If it says €28 you have to book it first.

• Advertisement

Ah thanks so much, I was thinking it'd be too much for them to be checking without using a lane, really appreciate your replying

Will see can i book a slot so, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭893bet

For the rust they might need to put it up on the lift so will charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

But if it doesn’t need a lane it doesn’t need a slot. Again, what does it say at the top of the sheet €0 or €28?

Sorry, it did say €28 at the top of the sheet, thanks again

At any rate i got an appointment for retest, tester came out after 5 mins to show me a photo of the hole that was flagged on first test. No repair had been attempted, no welding done on it. Had been painted black though

Not sure what i paid the mechanic for doing but it wasn't repairing the hole that was marked by first tester.

Another retest within the original 28days now, and not sure if i should be going back to the same mechanic but sure look, things happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Buffman

100% go back to him, to get your money back off him and then go to a decent mechanic.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement

Ha, yeah, that's the goal, to find a decent mechanic 😭 - was honestly reluctant to contact him since the NCT as i needed to calm down

Part of me would like to put it down to ignorance or an honest mistake - the other part of me is absolutely furious and feeling very ripped off.

Not likely that i'll get money back off him though, i'm not up to arguing with him tbh, he'll have some kind of excuse.

Just want the thing NCT'd and to get me through the next while until i can replace it next year so if he fixes this (no charge hopefully) i'll just not go back to him again i think

Ye, if you do go back to him to fix it properly, I wouldn't be paying him anymore for it. I'd probably ask him for the €28 retest fee back that he's cost you.

Just so you know, for rust holes, to pass the NCT, the hole has to be fixed properly with welding, left unpainted for NCT inspection so they can check it's been done properly, and then painted to protect it from rust.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭mk7r

They don't need to be unpainted for the retest but you must be able to see the welds so no filler/seam sealer

Thanks, I went back to him - panel was welded up to a hole. first thing you'd see on going under the car.

There was a bit of back and forth about going to the 'wrong' NCT centre.

He's repairing it and it's going back in for a retest this evening. When I asked what the story was about money he said don't worry about it, we'll sort it. Small money is all.

really not impressed but sure look - i'll see how it goes when i see him again

there was black paste/paint stuff (i presume seam sealer?) on the weld that was done the first time alright, didn't know that, thank you

Depends on where on the car the patch is. I don't think anyone would like a big snot of weld sticking out of their repaired bodywork, and on the exterior of the car they'd probably fail you again for having sharp edges exposed.

Obviously underneath somewhere may not be as critical to look good cosmetically but on the exterior if the welding/grinding work on the patch is of decent quality then you shouldn't see the weld when painted.

Advertisement