Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 different readings from 2 opticians within minutes of eachother?

Options
  • 06-10-2023 3:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Was recently in an optician with someone who was getting a new pair of glasses, and thinking my vision was fine, decided to get a test for the craic anyway and it turns out my readings were worse than theirs 😮

Went to another optician only minutes after for another test and the results from each were different.

So I think they said I've long distance focus problems and then astigmatism too. I've never been bothered by my vision and they said if it doesn't bother me then just leave it, but I'm wondering should I get a pair anyway if it will help with driving at night etc. I'm just curious as to why the readings are different and does this mean lenses made for me may not be a good match depending on what optician I use?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SamBlumenthal

Different optometrists provide slightly different prescription readings, especially if there's only a small difference in your vision. Various factors, such as equipment, testing methods, and the optometrist's experience, can all contribute to these variations. Additionally, vision can fluctuate, so getting different readings on different days is not unusual.

If you plan to get glasses, it's a good idea to consult with professional and reliable optometrists to discuss your concerns. They can tailor the prescription to address those needs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

That isn't actually an eye test result. That is a print out from an auto refractor which at best gives the optometrist a starting point which they will then refine. The results can vary depending on how your eyes will focus on the target in the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the replies. I ended up getting a pair and although as I said, my vision has never bothered me, I didn't realise there was an issue until I put the glasses on and could see writing a lot clearer from a distance.

There is however a difference between what I see directly in front of me through the lenses and then if I look at the same object below the frame. I took an odd step coming off the escalator as I was looking down, and it's a little disorientating looking down as I'm eating with them on too for example. Then looking at my laptop screen with them on, the top of the screen looks wider than the bottom of the screen to some degree. I can also see some faint blue duplicate shapes of any lights I look at which I guess is from the blue-ray?

Advertisement