Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BMW K1600GT....anyone had one?

Options
  • 05-10-2023 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

having dangerous thoughts at moment about moving up from my current bike (F800GT) into one

2014-2018 depending on cost/condition etc.

wondering if anyone here has run one and if so what were and pro's / con's of ownership?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Two of my friends have them: one is an older one, one is a new one.

No problems reported by either, and having ridden one, it's far more nimble than you'd expect.

They don't seem keep their value very well - Sprocket & Hubs had one for sale for a while, and I suppose if you're close to a BMW dealer it would make the decision to own one that bit easier.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Friend of mine had one - the ABS failed which didn't cause ABS failure, it caused complete brake failure. Engine braking and anticipation (he's an advanced riding instructor) prevented catastrophe..

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭martco

yeah the depreciation does look fairly steep alrite depending on year

I'm also not sure about the sheer size/mass of it, having trouble seeing it as a daily ride

in love with the idea of 6 pots but on hold for another year reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Thought BMW had sorted their ABS issues a while back!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Maybe - this was one of the early ones. That's no excuse.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

I have the F800GT last few years. It's all the bike I ever wished for.

Wouldn't mind taking a long trip on a bigger machine though, but wouldn't necessarily like to own one to replace the 800 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭martco

and you're spot on there, I've kept it in vgc and it hasn't missed a beat, a practical bike with sufficient grunt and presence to do Dublin/Wexford for example in all conditions and also nimble enough around town, I have no complaints, the Passat of motorbikes lol

like what I'd prefer to do is keep the 800 and add the 6 cylinders to the stable lol but like most I've limited funds

putting the idea away for the time being will rethink it next summer maybe wait in longer grass for a bargain to eventually show itself who knows

Advertisement