Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Beekeeper

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I loved it , my missus said "it was what it was" which I probably why I loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 30,834 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

This remained my favourite thing about it, just so funny how literal they made his 'beekeeper' status.

Thoroughly enjoyed anyway, very tongue in cheek, knew not to take itself too seriously (at least after the necessarily serious first 10 minutes to kickstart it all). The sheer number of bee references was hilarious.

Yeah, that was great... they went to great lengths to not show him killing any 'innocents' (though he still beat the **** out of them!), only killing hired goons, so went all out bringing in these cartoon mercs to murder without any ambiguity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

Saw this in the cinema actually and at first it just seemed like a generic, wafer-thin, seen it a million times b-movie (no pun intended) but once it gets going it's a ton of stupid fun, was laughing quite often at the sheer absurdity of it.

Kinda reminded me of something like Commando with Arnie, all the one liners, very self-aware, and lots of comedy moments. Quite different to John Wick in that sense, though I get the comparisons.

Anyway, a really solid pizza/beers flick, definitely one you should......beekeeping in mind for a Friday night. Easily the best of the (mostly not great) Statham movies in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I'd agree with this. Statham seems to churn out these movies but he really is best in class at them. As @Homelander says we have seen this a million times but it moves at a good clip so you don't analyze the daftness of what is happening. Also what works in JS favour is that he is actually good at the comedy side of things (within the genre).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I dunno guys..... I'm quite partial to bit of low rent Jason Statham / Liam Neeson brainless action and expected to like this. I WANTED to like this - but thought it was complete crud. Action was good but the storyline was of those which goes beyond being ridiculous to being almost offensively ridiculous. Maybe it's just me....

Like segal for example probably thought he was deniro in every movie , Jason just seems to be having the craic and raking in the coin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,547 ✭✭✭billyhead

It's brain-dead nonsense but lots of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Total nonsense. The fight scenes go beyond ridiculous though. At least John Wick offered the "bulletproof suit" as a bit of wand waving to explain why he wasn't just shot in the first 30 seconds of a fight against 30 armed guards, the baddies in this just stand there waiting for their turn to be beaten to a pulp. It's fun, pretty much the definition of a "beer and pizza with the brain switched firmly off" flick but not Statham's best work imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

That's definitely part of the appeal. Can usually go see a Jason Statham film and be entertained for ninety minutes. Also nice to have ready alternatives to the latest Superhero offering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I think that's fair point. The action is just that bit over the top. I generally try not to pick holes in films, but it just get on my nerves a little when you have a gang of 20 baddies, and they tackle our protagonist one by one, and individually get smashed, when it is obvious that they just need to surround him and all jump on him together. Anyway, no point in getting frustrated by that one point. There are plenty more plot-holes in the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Wow, there really is a hive of activity about this film.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

That might account partly for the success of the film. Lets the people run wild with the apiculture wordplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I think they definitely played it intentionally absurd. Shots like like the camera panning to find him already in the second scammers office, clapping and smiling along with the others, or the minigun reveal, or the Mom reveal - those were all played as pure hyperbolic comedy. So in that context, I think it pretty much has full license to just go wild and really not worry about real-world-logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I was enjoying it and its 'worldbuilding' up until he was attacked by the other beekeeper at the petrol station. that character was the total opposite of what we'd been told the beekeepers were, and the film took on a far trashier tone during that sequence, before whiplashing back to all serious and a revenge flick. Then at the last sequence the South african crew are introduced with no backstory or fanfare and are quickly dispatched, just weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Its not going to get an Oscar nomination, but I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

Pure tripe as all he's movies are ................ .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Surely you knew what you would be getting before you watched it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭User567363

• Registered Users Posts: 81,184 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Loved this, ott violence and proper vengeance against those scammers trying to rip people off and it had a woman as US president to keep the woke crowd happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,058 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Advertisement