Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I currently do 5k in 30 mins. Should I speed up, or increase distance? What next?

Options
  • 04-10-2023 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

I do a couple of laps around my hood which totals exactly 5k and I end up back at my house in 30 mins.

It's a jog not a run but gets me good and sweaty all over the body. Not completely out of breath though.

I feel I could do more.

But what kind of more?

Do the 5k faster? Or add another km onto my jog?

I'm not trying to lose weight, I'm skinny enough. Just trying to be healthy and have good cardio.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Both. Most good running plans will have days that are designated for longer runs at slower paces, and others where you push the speed but at shorter distances. Progressing in one helps the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I would have thought that's pretty slow especially for a skinny person. In around 86kg and my best 5km is 24m 27s as of a year ago. I'm 42 and only took up jogging when covid happened so you should be able to go a lot faster than 30 minutes.

I got bored with 5km every day so lately I've been doing 10s and 15s and have my first half marathon next week. I don't really concern myself with time now just finishing these distances but my pace is usually around 5:45 for long distances.

Try upping it to 8 then 10 a couple of times a week maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,669 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Fair play to you for starting the 5km, going forward you could join a local park run and you will find your pace picking up in no time, increasing distance is also a good idea if you have the time and maybe throw in a few trail runs when you get bored of the local concrete area

enjoy your journey that’s the main thing 👍🏻

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

30mins for 5k is not fast, especially if you v skinny. For context the world record for an 85 year old to run 5k is 24 minutes. I'm taking it you are a bit younger than that.

Also you dont say how often you do it. Every day good, once a week not so much.

If you were doing this every second day, you could mix it up - on one of the runs you would include speed intervals where you try to run fast (not sprinting just fast challenging running that gets the hear rate up) for one minute on, then maybe 4 minutes slower (or normal pace) and the one minute fast and so on.

Advertisement