Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 Irish local elections Galway.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

City Council = 18 cllrs

FF = 5

FG = 3

Labour = 1

SF = 0, seems odd to me

SD = 1

GP = 2

independent = 6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Well GP and SD have very little chance of returning those councillors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Between them, SD and GP took 22% of the first preferences in Galway City West last time around. I'd expect at one of their two candidates to get elected this time around (but not both). Who do you expect will take that seat if they don't? I guess it's possible that Sinn Fein could take it, but I'd think that's less likely. Their candidate got 5% last time and 9% the election before, when Sinn Fein managed to get a seat in each of the three wards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭what_traffic

6 Independents?

3 are ex-PD's; and they vote like those Musketeers.

Colette is ex-Labour don't believe she has any contact with McNeilis who was FG prior to Labour. That leaves Mike Cubbard and Noel Larkin as true Independents? Or do they have political party backstory's? Pretty sure Mike Cubbard does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I agree. SF are running candidates that weren't elected last time. They seem to be struggling for people, despite the upturn in support in the polls. They might still take the seats but it's not showing us much of a party on the rise.

GP seem to be the bearing the brunt of everyones frustrations at a national level. Hard to know how that'll translate to locals.

SDs are very tough one to predict. Two new candidates. Bit of a grey cloud over the party in the city, but neither of them had any connection with those issues and seem to be well regarded by people that know them. Potential to get the votes from people that want a change but risk the whole party is tarnished locally. Hopefully not. It would be nice to see another party with some sway.

• Advertisement

GP have burned themselves badly with their opposition to the Ring Road and their support for the Salthill cycleway. They’ll suffer for those.

The SDs will suffer because they really don’t differentiate themselves from the GP at a local level. Their councillor seems like a decent enough guy but he’s a one trick pony with no profile outside the Green cycling minority.

18 seats to fill, plenty of the political spectrum to avail of in that. From the fascist far right to the communist hard left; not that either of them have any real presence in Galway City but can the Centre hold of FF/FG/GP.

Galway East City Ward for me is the most open for newcomers, the Centre Ward will see least change of the 3 wards and the West Ward the most competitive & unpredictable.

SF only running for 1 candidate in each Ward is a story in itself; Galway City is not going to play out like rest of the Country IMHO.

In the 2019 election Galway City Council elections.

The Green Party where the ONLY PARTY to get somebody elected on the first Count in 2019.

The other 3 Cllrs who were elected on the First Count were Independents.

Only 2/4 will be running again.

Housing Crisis could hit the Gov party's of FF/FG/GP if things have not improved by May 2024, nationally SF are strong on that in opposition but SF are only running 1 candidate in each Ward - perhaps if SD focus on that they can pick up a seat as well in Galway West? Personally think FF are most in danger of losing 1 of the current 2 seats they have in Galway West to SF. Could SD take the Labour seat, not likely or GP? Hard one to predict Galway West.

You are right about the GP getting flack for the Climate Crisis stuff. They are known for flagging it and it is more front and centre in the Irish public discourse than was in 2019; perhaps many people don't want to hear it but the youngsters are in tune with it. The suggestion that the GP position on Ring Road is going to hurt them when it was pretty clear that was there position in 2019 when they topped the poll I do find that kind of analysis strange on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Will there be a separate thread for the county?

• Advertisement

Last time around O’Brolchains interference as Mayor was sufficiently remote that people didn’t connect it with Pauline O’Reilly. She’s now deeply unpopular and directly and recently cheered those who put the kibosh in the ringroad. She also openly supported the Salthill cycleway loons. The Green candidates will suffer for that.

Last time around they benefited nationally from transfers from left leaning parties in all elections. That’s not going to happen this time around.

They won't. This is non-coherent analysis re the Ring Road to be honest. The Ring Road position from the GP has been well known for decades at this point. They just need to be seen to delivering to their voters locally from the last election and to be fair to them they have had some small wins in that regard locally on Active Travel front but also big losses like not getting the Prom cycleway (personally think a reduced scheme without altering traffic flows could have gotten over the line); but those who voted No1 Green last time are hardly going to vote for those who are doing nothing on the Green front like SF/FG/FF so most likely will transfer to SD or Labour.

Will Pauline win a European Seat is for another thread.

Time will tell I suppose.

As to a European seat for O’Reilly, that doesn’t really need a thread. She hasn’t a hope. She’s finished in politics thank God.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Might as well have named the thread Galway city local elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,394 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Don't forget the Údarás elections on same day! Three members elected from Co Galway including City Gaeltacht areas such as Terryland, Sandyvale Knocknacarra, Tonabrucky, Carnmore, Menlo, Castlegar..

Some good suggestions here from Labour Chair, how many candidates are they running though?

Is it ONLY

Councillor Niall McNelis  (West)

and

Helen Ogbu (East)

Labour are done, its going to be a wipe out for that party so why would they run more candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,394 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I've yet to be canvassed about the referenda in five weeks time, never mind the three elections in four months time.

Be patient zell12 - they will be knocking for the locals, lots of seats up for grabs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 pjóflaharta

Hi all, I'm an Independent first time Local Election Candidate for Connemara South, interesting few months coming up

• Advertisement

Would be a a good idea to start one a bit nearer the election time and have 2 separate threads.

A few more candidate's listed in the local papers for Galway City over the weekend. Wa sa special section 1 page section in the Connacht City Tribune (may also have been Advertiser) called Local Elections 2024

McKinstry surely won’t be reelected so you’re in with a chance there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Act Fast

It is quite simple, do what I can to improve and better the area, with no wild unattainable promises, no crap at the doors, ordinary working father of 3, no political family dynasty or any of that cartel crap we currently deal with, I want to get our roads sorted, I'm like a dog with a bone on that subject, if successful, hopefully, I can get city council counterparts to also work on the city roads,

Post edited by pjóflaharta on

• Advertisement

Hopefully, you are right, the voting public nationwide, however, is mostly very forgetful and forgiving and keeps giving those that shouldn't, chance after chance, remember Alan Kelly of Labour, and so on...

Advertisement