Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance on a small van - NOT Commercial!

Options
  • 01-10-2023 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

I retire in a few months and plan on replacing my car with a small van (something like a Peugeot Partner or a Ford Connect). My reason is that I will have lots more time for hobbies & pastimes such as cycling and fishing. I imagine heading off for weekends to indulge my interests. It would also be hand to transport my dogs around without having the inside of a car ruined with muddy footprints, etc.

What is the story with insurance. Commercial isn't appropriate because the van is for lifestyle rather than any commercial activity and I don't want to have an annual DOE test when a two-yearly NCT should be sufficient. Do I just insure my van as a 'normal' car?

Any advice is most welcome 🤔

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You just tax and insure it as a private vehicle.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Rustyman101

You will have to do an annual test, 115 euro.

Insurance is not easy most won't touch you, they can't even give you a reason why, I've even had agents suggest I use it for commercial purposes and insure it that way, total shite.

I'll pm you the broker in wexford I use, decent quotes.

Tbh you won't have a lot of options.

Tax is expensive as well your looking at bout 800/900 between tax n Insurance.

Estate may be an option for you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Gorteen

So an annual test is required even though it's just for personal use??

I hadn't thought about increased road tax, I just assumed it would be based on emissions like a car.

The road tax will be based on emissions the same as a car as opposed to the commercial rate of 333euro. You shouldn't have any issues getting it insured.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Not true regarding the insurance. Rustyman is correct - there are very few options available.

• Advertisement

What point are you trying to make? How is it not true when there are options avalible?

Eh, the 'You shouldn't have any issues getting it insured.' part. I would've thought it's pretty obvious.

Your 100% correct T-Maxx, options are v limited, guess what "insure my van"doesn't when its private !

It would be obvious if you didn't have access to that amazing new invention called the internet alright.

Go on then, pick one of the OP's preferences and show us three quotes.

• Advertisement

Amazing people who come on to threads and think they know it all with such gems as the statement below.

"You just tax and insure it as a private vehicle."

Now I will admit I thought the same until I bought a van, then the fun started!

Anyways I've pmed the OP with the broker and conveyed the fact that the CRVT needs to be done annually.

So I'm off, best of luck with the van OP.

Oh there's also an issue around private vans and VAT which I'm not getting into.

ATB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Shoog

Heard this said many times that it's a breeze to get private insurance on a commercial. First it needs re-registering as a private . Then you approach all the regular insurance companies and they put the phone down on you. So you ask what broker do you use to get your private quote from - crickets.

There are some good private vehicles with big open backs and windows which should fit your requirements - stick with them.

You've got a lot to learn T max, you just need to find someone to teach you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Private Motor Tax for vans is based on the cc pre 2008 system.

For example a 1.6 Partner will cost €514 pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Get the car version of a van. And just fold the seats down if possible or take them out completely though they'll have to go back in before the nct.

Cheap tax and cheap insurance.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-bipper-2011-1-3-hdi-tepee-outdoor-75/32359646.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-partner-2013/35043026.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2013-citroen-berlingo/34200186.

Plenty of estate/MPV type cars that have great load space in the back with the seats folded down/taken down too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Have you considered the car version of the Partner or Kangoo ?

Might be a simple solution.

You're another person with a lot to learn about insurance in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Shoog

Tell us who offers private insurance on commercial van, knock yourself out. Be specific no hand waving.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,266 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's the tax they screw you on for sure, when you change from commercial to private. No logic in it at all.

That person obviously isn't you.

How are you getting on with the quotes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭HazeDoll

I drive a van, taxed and insured as a private vehicle. Insured with Alliance, no problem at all.

Vans are great, OP. I'll never go back to owning a car. I use mine as my sole mode of transport. It's very convenient for dogs and lots of other everyday things.

The tax is very straightforward. Go into the motor tax office and tell them you've just bought a small commercial vehicle and now you'd like to tax it as a private vehicle. If you get talking to somebody inexperienced they'll ask you about VAT numbers but just keep saying that you need to tax it as a private vehicle. I've done this a few times and never had any problem.

I'm insured with Alliance, again with no difficulties.

I think when people tell you it's complicated to own a van they're thinking of pulling a fast one, availing of commercial tax rates, that sort of thing. If you're willing to do it all above board it's simple.

The only snag, and it's a very minor thing, is that I pay commercial prices at motorway tolls. I've tried arguing, showing them my documents that prove it's a private vehicle, but I've lost the fight more often than I've won it.

Another thing... A chap I know recently bought a Kangoo that had been adapted as a wheelchair-accessible vehicle. All the advantages of a van. He did this because somebody told him it's impossible to own a van as a private vehicle and it solved his problem nicely. He paid a lot for it and he was a bit annoyed when I pointed out that I own a van privately but I know he's happy with it as a vehicle.

I've had my current van for nearly six years and I have been keeping an eye out for a newer replacement. Very few on the market at the moment, and what's there is wildly overpriced. To replace my current 2016 van with an identical 2016 van, with similar milage to what mine has now, would cost almost exactly what I paid for it in 2018 when it was still under warranty and had low milage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

The principle problem with insuring a van as a private vehicle relates to the level of cover provided to passenger injury on a private policy compared to a commercial policy. It's complicated, but the concern is the exposure of injury to people being carried in the back without proper restraints

There is no complication or problem, you are insured for front passengers only and the number depends on how many seats and seat belts are fitted without modification. The biggest danger of carrying someone in the back would be the damage they would do to front seat passengers in the event of an accident but that's neither here nor there as it would be illegal to carry someone in the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Regardless of whether it's legal or not, or if your policy only covers front seat passengers, the insurer will be obliged to pay compensation to anyone who is injured in a crash. That's why they shy away from offering cover.

If you were driving a stationwagon with passengers in the boot you would be in exactly the same position. It's illegal to carry people in the back of a van, just like it's illegal to carry people in the boot of a stationwagon, that's why it's not covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

you can't re class a commercial vehicle to private, so you will always need the cvrt, you can tax it privately but it's going to be expensive as its on the old engine cc scale.

As per thread title, OP specifically doesn't want a commercial policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭bigroad

Axa do a private van insurance for social, domestic,hobbies.

it comes up on their site when you click on van insurance and fill in your details.

you can transfer your private car ncb over no problem.

Advertisement