Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loko Dunmore road

Options
  • 30-09-2023 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Has Loko closed on the Dunmore road ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭south

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭obi604

I just passed by it and it says “closed for maintenance”

so not sure if it’s permanently closed?

Post edited by obi604 on

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Had an excellent meal with family there last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Murphy2020

I noticed their FB and Instagram accounts are gone. That doesn't look good. Especially if people have vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,980 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

surprised with this news, those Millionaire Fries were amazing (along with the Beer Cheese dip)

Jesus what is happening to the city and beyond

• Advertisement

Wonder are/were they just not getting customers in or too expensive etc?

The business may not be gone and I hope it is not. We have two economies, multi national and local. MNC is doing well, however a lot of small indigenous business is under serious pressure at present, right across the country. Inflation on all costs? Shortage of staff. Mortgage rate increases. Rent increases, Fuel cost increases. Lack of disposable income? There appear to be a lot of jobs on offer locally, but are they paying the type of wages/salaries necessary to keep up with rising national cost base?

Post edited by azimuth17 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Apparently they lost their Alcohol license so I think it's connected to that. The place was always busy and they were really plugging their Take Away side recently, relaunching their own take away website rather than relying on Just Eat etc... so I don't think it was the lack of business that's the reason.

I could be wrong, but isn't there an issue with Brooklyn out in Ardkeen not having an alcohol licence too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Think you are putting far too many factors into your analysis there……a small restaurant in a fairly decent part of waterford folding due to lack of FDI announcements….thinks it’s a lot simpler than that…!

• Advertisement

Probably right. Overthinking it. I have amended it. Just talking about it here now. Full employment locally and labour shortages and place closes. Its hard to grasp.

When all is said and done - do people reckon they are permanently closed?

Or just temporarily?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,948 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

you re not far wrong, sme's are largely in deep sh1t, mnc's have far more state protections in place, the game is geared more so towards such bigger entities, as its largely a numbers game, one large corporation going under means far more potentially becoming unemployed, quicker, compare that to one sme going under, its very unlikely state provisions such as bail outs etc would be enacted....

larger corporations also have much more favorable conditions with creditors compared to sme's, creditors are more likely to extent and forgive some debts for larger corporations, compared to sme's, and then of course theres those state protections already in place for those corporations, which helps this dynamic....

most are actually directly employed by sme's, so actually most jobs are currently under treat, but business failure is a slow process, so it can be a slow trickle failure, so a slow unemployment rise

...its messy...

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

The state will protect the MNCs and the public sector.

Everyone else is vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭south

By not paying the tax man! Alcohol licences are issued in September as far as I'm aware, and you need tax clearance to renew.

is this definitely closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,062 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Yep

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Valhalla90

Would make a good Nandos!

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Very sad to see it go, if it is permanant. Would hate to see some chain like Nandos or one of those other shite multinational franchise chains moving in, like in Tesco carpark.

Support locally owned restaurants if possible, is my creed.

• Advertisement

Fusion is going in where little Loko was

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Probably, seems to be burgers anyway going by the poster on the window I only saw lads going in with piping and the poster while driving past earlier.

was little loko part of the loko in Ardkeen sceanrio? like the same owners etc

Yeah, closed over a year though now I'd guess, didn't work. Had some savage food when it opened first then changed the menu a bit and kind of went off I thought. Still remember how good their buffalo fries were though initially and the pizzas were excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Jesus that's a shock that Loko is permanently closed. A bit out of the blue for sure. Would've thought that was a well liked reliable restaurant in Waterford City, strange how their socials have just disappearred off the face of the earth

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

Walked by Loko over the weekend and they have a sign on their door saying closed for maintenance. Deleting all their socials is a strange one though, not sure why they'd do that if only closed for maintenance.

Would guess the sign went up on day 1 of closing when a final decision to close completely hadn't been made and nobody took it down?

I was passing by at lunch-time yesterday and there was a cleaning company power-washing the outside.

Potential phoenix re-opening just in time for Christmas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

You be surprised how many local restaurants buy their equipment and supplies from out of town.

Buy local is a myth.

Advertisement