Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polycarbonate tunnel

Options
  • 30-09-2023 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Anyone have ideas of where to purchase one of these ? not high end expensive.....

based in Wicklow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

I can wholeheartedly recommend these people and their product. I think I had a couple of Optimas.

Their only stipulation was that the ground was flat with no pipes or cables.

They will supply just the unit for you to fit, but fitting was done in half a day by very professional people. The units are guaranteed if fitted by themselves.

I ordered two 8x3m with raised beds.

I live on the west coast incidentally where the weather is wild to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,239 ✭✭✭✭looksee

this is a local crowd - Galway - but they deliver all over Ireland, certainly they put up a very nice tunnel in east Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Can recommend KSB as well. Rocking a 6x3m Strong for over a year. Pay for the install, it's great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭eeinke

Thank you both.

Any book recommendations on growing veg & fruit in a Polytunnel?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Bill Hook

Borrow a few books from the library and see what might work for you.

I found The Polytunnel Book: Fruit and Vegetables All Year Round by Joyce Russell to be very useful, I got it from the library and then bought a copy. I also have Fruit & Vegetables for the Polytunnel and Greenhouse by Klaus Laitenberger. Both writers live in Ireland so the information is relevant to the Irish climate and growing conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 GloriaBog

These are good but we found it very fiddly to put up with lots of small fittings. Well worth paying to get it assembled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Yeah the fee for installing is bananas value. I'd never DIY it and I love DIY and am handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

I'm now on my third, all are fine, I got spoilt being able to garden in comfort in all weathers.

I wouldn't dream of installing one myself, it looks straightforward, KSB sent me an assembly manual when I wanted to alter one slightly. They came and did it, so it seemed only decent to make the visit worth their while and have a third.

The first is three years old and it's holding up very well indeed. On the SW coast things fall to bits very easily and metal turns either brown and crunchy or in the case of aluminum white and crunchy in no time, so I am more than happy with the performance and the metal is holding out pretty well. I might give the bolts a spray of vegetable oil this year though as the salt air is doing the expected.

No way would I attempt to fit one of these units myself, to be certain of the warranty applying they need to be installed by KSB, but this aside it's inexpensive and they are amazingly quick.

My only slight niggle was that they dont seem to pay strict attention to the model. I ordered wood of dimensions provided by KSB for shelving for the first and found it almost impossible to fit and just not adequate. I used the wood for other purposes in the end.

The reason dawned with the final one, a "strong" which I had originally ordered and assumed was what they fitted. Those fitted were "optima's", I'm told they are the same wind rating, but It is something to look at if you want a particular feature or want several to match.

Alas the wood ordered for the first greenhouse has now become garden tables and seating :-(

No one;s perfect and I would be happy to order from them again.

Advertisement