Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desktop or laptop for gaming

Options
  • 29-09-2023 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭

Many many moons ago I was a gamer but all that disappeared. Battlefield Vietnam etc.

Now I have kids and they are getting towards that age I was looking at options. I used to build PC's but I wouldn't even know where to start so I was looking at laptop options as well.

Just wondering what is the min spec to play decent games these days? would the below work

i7

16GB mem

graphics??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 davissgurban

i7 - it is not so important whether it will be i7 or i5, it would just be nice if they were more modern 12-13 generations and had 6-8 cores

16GB mem - it's ok

graphics - geforce RTX 3060, currently the most popular starting video card for games

and in general everything rests on your budget :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

if you have the space and want to get back into pc gaming then now is a good time as prices for pc parts are stabilising and you can build a gaming pc for not too much more than a PS5, you might have to shop around and maybe get 2nd hand parts but it is possible :D

obviously the easy route is to go down the console route if you just want casual gaming so PS5, Xbox would be simple and the next Switch is on the horizon.

If you want to dip your toe into pc gaming then you should look at some of the new PC gaming consoles such as the Steam Deck.

You can even pick up a refurbished one now from Steam and other places as the new oled edition has pushed prices down.

Have a look over in PC building and they can help you out if you give a budget

https://www.boards.ie/categories/pc-building-upgrading

Advertisement