Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temple street hospital using unauthorised devices

Options
  • 18-09-2023 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Apologies if there is already a thread on this, I did a search but couldn't find anything.

Absolutely scandalous what has gone at Temple Street hospital in treating kids with spinal complications. How could anyone in their right mind think it was ok to use unauthorised devices on the kids during surgery. I heard Roisin Shortall say on Newstalk that some of the items used were bought in a hardware shop, FFS.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,775 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the irish times article on it states that the investigations centre around one consultant in particular. but - and it's a big but - "One child has died and others have suffered significant post-operative complications since issue came under investigation"

emphasis mine.

https://www.irishtimes.com/health/2023/09/18/serious-spinal-surgical-incidents-at-temple-street-hospital-prompts-external-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Astartes

The trust in public health has been absolutely shattered all for the sake of saving a few bob. Jail would be too good for the surgeon in question but we will never even find out their name. Sweep sweep sweep it up. There's no evidence if there's no evidence nudge nudge wink wink.

What a kip

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Just heard about this. The surgeon bought springs etc in a DIY shop and put them into sick children ??? I wonder how long he has worked there and if he was checked out beforehand?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

They were hardly working alone in the theatre....did no scrub nurses, anaesthesiologist etc not cop this and report it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Someone did report it not sure if it was a whistle-blower or the parents affected by this. The Ditch published the story on friday. Not sure if the hospital and HSE where trying to keep it hush hush or waiting for the report. Either way it is awful what was done. I'm sure we will hear more about the heirarchal structure in hospitals similar to what went in the NHS with the nurse killing babies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭blackbox

There has to be some other motivation. The surgeon would not have been paying for metal implants out of his own pocket.

Exactly surely everything used in the operation would have to be accounted for from the hospital stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭nachouser

I was just gonna create this thread. Whether or not you believe The Ditch, there is more detailed info there on what is alleged to have been going on.

The "medical implants" are alleged to have cost a fiver a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭BrianD3

From The Ditch report on 15th September

"Central to these questions was the allegation that springs not meant for use in surgery were bought by at least one member of staff at Temple Street and subsequently used in an unlicensed implant, which was then implanted in at least three young patients during surgery. Other members of staff at Temple Street have said that this is indeed the case.

European Springs & Pressings Ltd, headquartered in Kent, have confirmed to The Ditch that it fulfilled an order to Temple Street in January 2020 for a consignment of 10 compression springs (at a cost of £4.58 per spring) that were not intended for use as implants in surgery. The company’s business development manager in Ireland says they had no idea of the end use for the springs and that, if they had known they were to be used in surgery, the company would have advised against it. The springs are made from low-grade steel, rather than the titanium alloy required to prevent corrosion. The company also doesn’t have the relevant certification to sell springs for use in medical implants. There is no suggestion European Springs & Pressings committed any wrongdoing in fulfilling the order for Temple Street."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Tried to read some of this and it seems unbelievable.

And this sentence is still shocking despite all the alleged stuff ...

"Despite a commitment first given by then health minister Simon Harris in 2017 that no child would be on the waiting list for more than four months, there are still more than 120 children waiting more than a year for scoliosis surgery, according to the Ombudsman for Children."

This is in a country that can pay the 6O GRAND BIK tax on someone's ridiculous car that they also get free in Bord Na Mona. Turf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

100% agree with all that…. Such a dump of a country now…. Any civilised and responsibly run country you’d be going down for 5 years for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I think the government has been papering over the cracks this past 10 years. The had the opportunity to do some real strategic thinking and planning after the last property crash. But they have not done anything apart from pump up property prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,148 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Why were items from Woodies inserted into their backs?

The FG government after the Trioka had gone tried to recreate a celtic tiger boom but it has backfired on them. Like you said there was a real chance for serious change to be made to how the country was run and money used and the p**sed against the wall.

For things to change now it will need a government that can come up with a 10 year plan and get cross party support for it and get it implemented and leave their ego at the door.

You would be hoping this whole mess wasn't true. I couldn't believe when Shortall said it during her interview on Newstalk. We will probably have to wait till the oireacthas committee meeting to find out what really happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

Ah shurr what's to be done, I mean we lose over half our graduate doctors and Nurses straight out of med school to Australia, Canada & the Middle East because we won't pay them a living wage, and then we take on the ones that can't get work anywhere else. how those two factors are related and could lead to constant negligence at every level is a mystery though.

Also don't go blaming the health minister, they can't be "in charge" of every little thing going on around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Someone in the staff reported him according to the News report I heard on radio. I really can't get this out of my head. Sick children being treated like that by a so-called professional.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

How much do you think we're paying graduate doctors? How much do you think the living wage is?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭con747

Here's a thought, pay our HSE staff a decent wage from top to bottom on the front line and it might just stop the unknown millions being paid out weekly for incompetence which we see weekly. That will never happen though.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭lizzyjane

I thought nothing could surprise me anymore about this cesspit of a country.

This is sickening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

You'd really hope this isn't true, but if it is, there needs to be serious ramifications for all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Tom1991

This is another HSE disgrace,

This doctor should be named and shamed and at the earliest charged if I was a parent of one of those kids I’d haunt that prick of a surgeon till his dying breath.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

My daughter had this surgery in October 2020 - thankfully it wasnt in this hospital but I feel so sorry for the children and families involved. The surgery is hard enough to go through after waiting for almost 3 years. The pain my daughter went through before and after the surgery was horrendous and I can only imagine having to get it redone again because the cheap-ass consultant went to B and Q to buy a few bits and pieces - or was it the Lidl middle aisle??

Absolute scumbag - he should be named and shamed and his face plastered all over the media. But no he`ll get struck off and get to keep his huge HSE pension.

Its a disgrace - Donnelly should be fired as well over this as hes the minister for health. The ministers office at the time (Simon Harris) wouldnt even acknowledge me when I emailed him about the waiting list - I got a please **** off email back from his office yet he stated that no child would be waiting on this surgery. If my daughters had been done within a year of diagnosis it would have been "minor" surgery and cost the tax payer a lot less but because she was waiting so long she had almost a full spinal fusion with 48 screws (hopefully not from the local hardware shop) in her back that cost the tax payer in the region of €100k

An absolute **** hole of a country.

Edit for Transparency - The PFO letter was from Simon Harris`office.

But it's not just pay, its everything, hours shifts and their treatment. They work horrendous hours and then are treated like crap by management. Remember the government threatened nurses before covid if they went on strike.

The problem is and will always be there is no accountability in Ireland, it makes the news and is brushed under the carpet when the next scandal breaks and then it's up to the people affected to try and get justice which is never an easy road to travel when you have government bodies with endless resources to fight you all the way even though they know they are in the wrong and eventually settle with a non disclosure agreement for multiples of what they could have settled for initially.

I agree, and it's time the government copped on and sacked most of the overpaid useless management with their for life jobs dragging the people who make the difference down. I know due to contracts and so forth it will never happen but they can do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

You hope that this wasn’t true, take from someone who’s child has waited years for this surgery and has being attending for nearly four years now and seeing the incompetence of some staff not booking appointments, scans etc and see your child getting worse by the day in pain trying to get through secondary school and general day to day things that you take for granted that they can’t do, down to putting their socks on. That weasel of a Harris using scoliosis as a publicity stunt to keep himself relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Agree what your saying being down the same road, and the first time went wrong and had to wait 10 months to get corrective done again and the pain and daily agony the children have to go through because of the waiting list that is all down to the weasel Harris all talk and done nothing, we were advised not to go near Harris about the waiting list as we would have got the same reply as you got. If people knew what the children have to go through in a fusion procedure in a 8 to 9 hour operation having their bones drilled and rods and screws inserted it might help put some pressure on the government to sit up and take notice instead of the likes of Shorthall jumping on the band wagon trying to look interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭standardg60

A friend has been telling me about this for at least the last year and said it was going to be the biggest scandal in the history of the state. A child of someone they knew had been operated on and had been left bent double. They were one of the 'lucky' ones, there have been several left paralysed.

Allegedly the person involved had 'developed' their own unique practices, and had continued with surgery when damage had clearly been done. There are massive cases pending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

A bit too tragic for smartass quips, don't you think?

Advertisement