Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping Onion and Garlic powder dry?

Options
  • 29-09-2023 2:06pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭

……..maybe not dry but from forming into a “concrete block” 😀.

I store both in a glass jars, complete with dry chickpeas……both still turn into reinforced concrete. Have to mortar and pestle them after digging out with an ice pick 🥊🥊🥊.

Probably better to buy in small quantities.

Tips?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It's very annoying, isn't it!

I don't know what the solution might be except to add some kind of anti-caking agent?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Where are you storing them? If it's anywhere near your hob, steam is probably the issue. My mother used to keep all her herbs & spices in the press nearest the hob and couldn't figure out why this kept happening 🙄 You need to keep them in the coolest, driest part of the kitchen. One of those little dehumidifier yokeys with the beads in them in the press should also help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Was going to post about this a few weeks ago. Have this problem all the time.

They used to stick grains of rice into salt cellars to stop the condensation sticking the salt granules together. If you did the same thing with onion/garlic granules, you’d need a container that filtered out the rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Completely dry area alongside flours, rice and general dry goods.

• Advertisement

Great. Going to buy new batches now and try this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Let us know how you get on please.

Using the handle of a teaspoon to break up the clusters is not the worst job you have to do but it would be interesting to see how freezing/refreezing works.

My garlic powder is out. My onion powder is a rock atm…..just have to finish that first then I’ll resupply but will post here all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

what sort of glass jar? if it has a proper seal mine keep fine, many have poor seals. The spice jars in tesco have very poor seals, if you lift up just a bit of the foil and carefully put it back down I find it is OK. But I would put in mini jars like jam or honey from hotels.

You can add salt to them too, just like they well onion or "garlic salt", it is usually much cheaper to just add your own salt to the powders. Of course you have to take into account the salt when cooking with them.

Advertisement