Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbikes in Cycle Lanes

Options
  • 28-09-2023 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

To the twit on the 07 C41XXX (I'll refrain from adding the last 3 digits) R1 or R6 in the cycle lane inbound at the Leeson St Earlsfort Terrace junction - no a broken white line does not allow you in the cycle lane. For your edification please find the relevant statute section below. I'm a biker as well as a cyclist and like I believe 95% if bikers we know that cycle lanes are a no go especially in a section with as many cyclists as that one. So cop on and stay out of the cycle lane.

S.I. No. 182/1997 - Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations, 1997

14 Cycle Tracks

14. (1) Where traffic sign numbers RUS 009 or RUS 009A and either RRM 022 or RRM 023 [cycle track] are provided, the part of road to which they relate shall be a cycle track.

(2) The periods of operation of a cycle track may be indicated on an information plate which may be provided in association with traffic sign number RUS 009 or RUS 009A.

(3) All pedal cycles must be driven on a cycle track where one is provided.

(4) Where a cycle track is one-way, pedal cycles shall be driven in the same direction as traffic on the side of the roadway adjacent to the cycle track is required to travel.

(5) When a cycle track is two-way, pedal cycles shall be driven as near as possible to the left hand side of each lane.

(6) ( a ) A mechanically propelled vehicle, other than a mechanically propelled wheelchair, shall not be driven along or across a cycle track.

( b ) A reference in sub-article (a) to driving along or across a cycle track shall include a reference to driving wholly or partly along or across a cycle track.

( c ) This sub-article shall not apply to a vehicle being driven for the purpose of access to or egress from a place adjacent to the cycle track or from a roadway to such a place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Is this actually from Irish legislation? I was under the impression that cyclists were not obliged to use the cycle lane...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

(6) ( a ) A mechanically propelled vehicle, other than a mechanically propelled wheelchair, shall not be driven along or across a cycle track.

Doesn't this bar nearly 90% of personal vehicles from cycle lanes then as all I see half the time is electric bicycles and those scooters

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Too much time on your hands

drive on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

It is Irish legislation, but it's been replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Wood

Some cycle tracks are bordered by a continuous white line on the right-hand side. These are only for bicycles and motorised wheelchairs, so no other drivers may use them or park in them. Other cycle tracks have a broken white line on the right-hand side. Other drivers may make temporary use of this type of track if it is not occupied. 

Basic rules of the road. Common sense should prevail though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Yawn

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Just imagine every time a cyclist broke a rule of the road someone posted it on the cycling forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Breezin

Did the 'twit' impede or endanger you? Or did he just break a rule?

I'm a cyclist, and a motorcyclist. Sometimes I do things on either that I would never do in a car, because no one is affected.

Advertisement