Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Villiers School in Limerick creates bizarre video to “educate” its pupils

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

That's if the parents were even aware that their child was roped in to something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,887 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Probably not. They are the equivalent of the English upper classes who abandon their children in similar schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Strange there was no cultural appropriation accusations levelled towards my niece who got braids put in by this nice lady recently. That nice lady was quite grateful for a €20 note while her husband/boyfriend sat just outside smoking what appeared to be a rollie and it had a funny smelling smoke coming out of it.

They somewhat alarm me too, that’s at least two people then.

Negligible for yourself and many others, not for a whole new generation of this is evidence of the kind of stuff starting become mainstream in our education.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭growleaves

"Weird rhythmic chanting in unison has no negative impact on my life"

Coooooll. Nothing to see here so! Why even mention it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Fine video to bring back the Wokism of the Day thread with.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,429 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Edit

Post edited by freshpopcorn on

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I am what some people would call "woke".

I welcome immigrants to this country.

Yes, we're going to have some criminals, and, because of government ineptitude, we now have ghettoes. However, I came out of internet retirement to post the following:

Having seen this video (a friend showed it to me), I proclaim that immigrants are not allowed to play, or even watch, GAA games. Not just African immigrants, but all immigrants.

I don't care if they have kids who were born here. Those kids are banned from anything related to GAA. The Irish language, too. No immigrant shall be taught how to speak Irish. I don't care that there's only a very small minority of native speakers.

Immigrants are now forbidden from appropriating our culture which includes: GAA sports, the Irish language, begrudgery, going for "a pint" which turns into a session (also use of the word "session" with regard to drinking heavily), using forums (fora? I think this was argued about years ago) with the .ie domain or creating websites with a .ie domain, speaking Hiberno-English* (craic, bollix, cúntish and similar words), being a ginger (Scots are allowed on that one), taking the piss out of gingers (this was personal until I went grey), flying the Irish flag/fleg, speaking with an Irish accent, complaining about the government (unless they are eligible to vote), voting for Bertie Ahern at the next presidential election, other things I'll make up along the way, because a young, white Irish woman having braids in her hair is the worst thing that ever happened to the people who chose to live in this country. /s

Yes, I went a bit long with this, and made a few jokes (mods take note of that and my adherence to Poe's law please), but that's how ridiculous that cult-like video was.

I've said it a few times on this site over the years, but this is not America.

We didn't enslave Africans, and if foreign people want to live here then they should accept our customs if they want us to accept theirs.

Integration is key to a multi-cultural society. We take some foreign customs, and they take some of ours. The Pakistanis who run the local Indian restaurant, and the Vietnamese/Thai people who run the local Chinese take-aways wouldn't be too pleased with the loss of customers.

*Someone above mentioned that immigrants shouldn't speak English. I think that a bit of leeway can be given on that, seeing as how that language was forced onto many people around the world. Hiberno-English is a slightly different language. See examples above.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

that's it, the school preaches inclusion and diversity, but you'd wonder how included a white lad with cornrows would be made feel

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,897 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Why is she wearing a school uniform?

Out culture is not her fashion!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

That video is very daft.

Give it another month and we can have articles on the problematic Halloween costumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Halloween has its origins in Ireland so maybe we should stop every other nationality from appropriating our culture and celebrating it. Next time a kid from an immigrant background comes to my door at Halloween dressed in a spooky costume, I’ll just say “ My culture is not your costume “ and I’ll slam the door in their face. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander 😝

Galicia sometimes claims Halloween started there, visit it anytime and you see wind-up cackling witches being a favourite souvenir

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Before you slam the door, make sure you teach them the sacred chant: “I should have known, but I had to learn!”.

I went to a small private RC Convent school in the late 1960s-1970s, and by god we were far from indoctrinated and allowed to express our views on Catholicism, Christianity, and all beliefs. The only thing we were encouraged to be is of goodwill to our fellow humanity, can’t remember any rule of regular or way of thinking being forced on us. That was the “bad old days” 🤷‍♀️ Grand bunch of down-to-earth girls emerged from it.

Queen of Denmark wearing national Greenlandic dress, and her husband wearing men’s simpler version, how culturally inappropriate 😁

Incidentally, for anyone visiting Greenland and who takes a drink, a Greenlandic coffee is a real treat, but could be described as a form of cultural appropriation adopted by the Greenlandic hospitality industry. They borrowed the idea from Ireland and stepped it up a notch. For those of you who want to try it at home, make like Irish coffee, leave out the sugar, but in place of whiskey alone replace with three equal parts of Grand Marnier, Kahlua and Whiskey. I always observed Tullamore Dew being their own favourite and it works perfectly. When the cream is poured the top is set alight and flambéed. The liquid is said to represent the rich sea waters, the cream the snow, and the coloured flame the Aurora Borealis that makes its regular appearance in the night skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,394 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Maybe it's a video put together by a bunch of teenagers - that's designed to get all the older in age citizens of the Internet wound up.

Feel's like it's a deliberate piss take by some scurrilous teenagers.

I don't think it's worth getting annoyed by.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

You should have known, but you had to learn that pc culture went beyond the pale about 15 years ago.

As someone who is from the pale, I already knew. By the way, you cannot use the term "beyond the pale" if you're not from the pale.

If it is made up, then I applaud the epic trolling. I've seen some brilliant trolling in my day, and I don't mean trolling in the modern sense of the word, where people call anyone who disagrees with them a "troll". I mean deliberately going out of your way to piss people off, even if you agree with them, just to amuse yourself.

If not, then I will start shouting abuse at White, Irish teenage girls when I see them with braids in their hair, because that's what the internet told me to do. As a half-bald (I really miss my long hair), White Irish man in my late 40's, it's my duty to scream abuse at White Irish teenage girls with braids in their hair. I saw the video, so now I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I don't agree this is something as benign as you see it. I highly doubt this was the teenagers idea.

Since when do teentagers 'teach' adults about anything. They aren't anyway, it's really a case of adults using them, which is the most ergregious part of all this. It would be no different than a religous school making kids do a video on abstaining from sex outside of marraige. You know, some high-minded idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

Celts and Vikings wore braids. Villiers would want to improve their history department instead of spending money on stupid propaganda videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭amacca

You should have known not to watch it

But unfortunately you had to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭amacca

I think its just another example of some humans having way too much time on their hands and none of the intelligence required to put it to good use.

Utterly moronic krank bandwagoners

It doesn't alarm me anymore as I've come to expect a significant cohort of my species to incredibly moronic ...but I see what you mean, you wonder if we are regressing as a species to a level of retardedness it might be hard to extricate ourselves from and will make life for anyone with a lick of common sense quite miserable.

Either that, or hopefully it's a genius windup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Is the person with braids making assumptions about the culture the red haired person self identifies as belonging to?

Apologies in advance if I have assumed both main characters in the video self identify as people. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Well, yes, up to a point.

But one of the things our Protestant community has always tried very hard to do is to show that they are perfectly normal, although a fair number of them give off the vibe that they are somehow better than or even superior to the rest of us.

The antics around pronouns in Wilson's school and this video from Villier's would seem to point in a slightly different direction. And given how few Protestant secondary schools there are, even two is a significant subsection of them. You would hope the rest, without reneging on their religious ethos, are somehow more mainstream than these two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

They should all refrain from their religious ethos and stick to teaching facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

But it seems to have the school logo etc - so the school must approve it in some way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭hynesie08

It could be a cspe project filmed and recorded using school equipment, archived on the website. I find that a lot easier to believe than some sort of nefarious cultural indoctrination carried out by the prods to keep themselves stale and pale.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement