Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another "Should I Switch" thread

Options
  • 26-09-2023 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

I've been with Eir FTTC broadband for years now. Never once switched or had the guts to ask for a discount. Currently paying €80/month just for bband and landline calls. I never ever actually use the phone all I use is broadband, nothing else.

I'm thinking of switching to Pure because seemingly they use the same network as Eir and you can just pay for bband with them for like 30-40 per month.

I'm worried switching will be a pain because I will loose service for weeks and have billing issues and maybe the bband speed and reliability from Pure won't be as good. Also I don't actually have any problem with Eir. I never have to contact them, the bband service is rock solid.

My Questions:

Will I get the same bband speed and rock solid service (line signal) even if I switch to Pure since they will use the same phone line anyway to deliver the bband?

Also could I just keep my existing Eir F3000 modem? Do Pure have the same service offering as Eir in terms of download limits? Do they let you port forward like Eir do? Do Pure do any restrictive stuff that Eir don't do? Stuff like funny Nat'ing etc..

I don't really want to ask these questions to a sales rep because they probably won't know the answers or I wouldn't trust them to be honest with me.

Any advice much appreciated.

Flex

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Well I have always been with Pure for broadband and for their service I would recommend them wholeheartedly. I had the phone in first and was sick of unreliability with Eircom and switched, to find it was exactly the same :-)

I did eventually get the line sorted though but it became apparent that the hardware is the same.

I assume the phone is not via copper any more as both phone and data went out together a couple of days back due to a road accident.

I phoned Pure as I understood the phone and internet to be separate, but I guess that explains why I don't lose the phone when it rains any more.

Anyway they offered me a new contract and a discount. Prior to the discount I am being billed at sixty euro a month for phone and broadband. I dont make many calls and dont use any extras such as UK fixed rates.

Speed is fine for my purposes and there is no cap on data that I'm aware of.

If you wish to nominate a speed test site, I can give you the results.

I am in the SW and pretty remote, but I find no difference between my connection and Virgin in my UK city.

Frankly I cannot fault the company, they are responsive and helpful. I had the Broadband installed when the house was unoccupied and I was in the UK too, so communications were excellent.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Pure do good modems, and have Irish support. Can't fault them. Only reason I changed was a price increase after the first year.

Their modems are linkable, and often available second hand to create a mesh network.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭RobiePAX

Switching each year or two is the best way to save money.

If you don't want any downtime simply make sure you are switching between OpenEir providers. Give your UAN to new provider and they'll take it over. Just make sure you are out of contract with eir.

Pure is not bad. Though I believe Sky has the most aggressive price right now at €30/pm.

Advertisement