Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redeployment vs reassignment

Options
  • 26-09-2023 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is in the wrong section but looking for a bit of advice if anyone can help.

I won't say where I work but my current role is coming to an end soon and I will eventually be "reassigned" to another role, I have no say over where I end up, my employer will decide that. The term "redeployment" is not being used at all

I have been told that redeployment is different to reassignment, apparently if there are internal competitions being run by the employer an employee whose current role is coming to an end can apply for that role and get priority provided they fill the criteria for the role.

Is this true?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well if your employer has attached some kind of special meaning and procedures to these words, only someone that works there can help you out on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,761 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You need to talk to jour union.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭thefa

Is this part of a redundancy process?

Not sure of the specifics separating redeployment versus reassignment but have seen a redundancy process whereby by placing staff from the role ceasing to a similar open role (in the opinion of the employer), they could essentially avoid offering redundancy. Now that individual could make an argument that the role had changed for various reasons if they didn’t want the new role or were pushing for redundancy.

And yes, have seen staff under the scope of redundancy receive preference for open roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭ooter

The dept I work for is transferring over to another company, we can be reassigned and will be absorbed in to our current employer or transfer over to the other company. There will be a redundancy option but no details of that yet.

I thought there might be an across the board standard for redeployment but it appears employers can make it up as they go along.

I want to stay with my current employer but they want me to apply to be reassigned, I won't be doing that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well if your employer is telling you that you need to reassignment, then it is very unlikely you'll be able to stay with your current employer. Better decide if you want redundancy or go work for the new company. In my experience, those who jump first of redundancy often come out a little better because if there is anything extra to be had it is consumed first in attracting people - gardening leave, retraining etc... in the it is just the statutory minimum that remains.

• Advertisement

We have been told that when the official date comes for the other company to fully take over operations we will automatically stay with our current employer if we have not indicated any wish to switch to the other company.

So in reality I can sit tight and see what happens, not ideal but I'm not comfortable with requesting to be reassigned, to me that's letting my employer off the hook. If it was redeployment I feel I would have more say in where I end up.

Obviously I'll have a look at the redundancy package when the details come out but I'm probably still a bit young to go down that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭thefa

I wouldn’t look on redundancy as something you have to be older to take. Obviously the longer the tenure, the better but have seen people in 30/40s take it if attractive and presume younger have taken it too.

Probably more important are your circumstances, what the job market is like for people of your skills/experience and if you’re happy to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Not in any way looking to identify your employer but what sector is it in? Healthcare/Banking/ICT/Telecomms etc etc

Local authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,221 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Redeployment is effectively doing your same job in a different location. Reassignment is moving to a different role.

I don't quite understand why you are focusing on these terms to be honest? If your entire department is gone then your job is gone so by definition they can't redeploy that role. Their only options are reassignment or redundancy. So why are you holding out for something they can't really do?

• Advertisement
Advertisement