Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting messages about recent teansctions

Options
  • 25-09-2023 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭

I am getting texts from +353 87 328 4161 about a recent transaction, telling me to reply yes if I recognise it.

It is saying my card will be deactivated if I don't reply. I can't check status of my card but I find the threat disconcerting.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

It’s horseshit, don’t reply or do what the text asks you to.

Check your bank balance a separate way, either contacting the bank directly & ask them or using online banking to check your recent transactions, this way you’ll find out if the “recent transaction” actually happened & be able to deal with it directly with your bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Eve

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch with us here.

This is a genuine text from our card security team. If you'd prefer not to reply to the text then you can contact the team on freephone 1800946764/ +353567757007 from abroad or email fpucardsecurity@boi.com and my colleagues can discuss this with you further.

Thanks, Eve

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Hi Eve,

Thanks for that info. But also slightly worrying. Someone could start a phishing attack sending text messages pretending to be BOI. How are people supposed to know it actually is BOI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Hi Tim,

Thanks for checking back with us.

Just to mention also, BOI will never send SMS asking you to click a link to enter your PIN, account info etc.

We would always recommend to reach out to Card Security directly, if the card has been flagged, there will be a recorded note on file.

We also have a Security Zone in place through our website that may also help https://www.bankofireland.com/security-zone/

Many thanks, Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Ok so hacker does this:

* Copies and pastes your message, pretends to be from B.o.I. sends it random people with a popular transaction e.g. a subscription to Netflix and says reply Yes or No.

* People reply Yes or No

* Hacker then sends the person a message, from another number pretending to be from NetFlix. Thanks for being a valued customer. We received your recent transaction for blah and blah. Here's a special offer for you, if you click on this. Or a message from NetFlix, your card has expired and transaction blah blah is cancelled. Please enter your card details again here (click link)

BOOM. Party time for hacker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Hi Tim, thanks for coming back to us.

We will never send you an SMS asking you to click a link to enter your banking login or PIN.

If you are unsure of an SMS that you receive, if it claims to be from another retailer, you can contact the retailer directly and they can check the validity of the SMS. Any SMS claiming to be from ourselves, we be happy to check for you.

Many thanks, Alison

Advertisement