Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ditching a two car household - long term implications?

Options
  • 25-09-2023 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

Curious about this- we’ve two cars, one modern one 17 years old. We think we could survive on one car saving at least about 2000 per annum (high tax highish insurance, increasing repair bills etc for the older car)

My question is, if I stop being insured on the older car, what happens my access to the other car for driving and also(insured to drive on partners car but I think that’s dependent on having my own insurance too, just not sure) , if I go back to owning/insuring a car in the coming years what will the premiums be like?

As you can see I’m really hanging on to the older car because of maintaining NCB but willing to consider giving up car ownership if I can still drive the partners car - any input gratefully accepted

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Only one of you can insure the car, and your NCB usually goes out of date in 2 years, although some insurers have different rules.

Maybe you insure it one year, your partner the next?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

We got rid of one car at the beginning of covid and have just alternated who is named driver and who is the policy holder each year since then with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You can be a named driver on the partner's policy or they can take out an open driving policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

By alternating who is the policy holder/named driver each year you can maintain your NCB, in case you go back to having two cars. Insurance companies have no problem with this, at least for married couples.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Ah that’s cool lads- alternating the named driver annually and keeping the NCB sound exactly what we need- I’ll explore with the insurance company - all paid up for the older car for this year but it’s certainly what ill explore for next year- even renting an additional car for a few days. here or there over the year would still be a saving.

Safe driving y’all and many thanks for your replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭LimerickGray

Can someone explain in concrete terms how this works please???? Can you use terms car A and Car B. Driver 1 and Driver 2. In lost but need this. I think. Both insured on 2 cars now and protected ncb. Thinking of getting rid of 1.

Advertisement