Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance.

Options
  • 25-09-2023 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭

My Mother in law died on Sunday evening.

my wife needs to use the car urgently (i.e. her mothers car) i.e get on the insurance

how would the insurance scenario work here? Ring the mother in laws insurance company and try and get wife added (or pointless as the woman is dead)

or ring wife’s own insurance company and try and add her

These are the practical headaches one is presented with at these times of death

edit: this may not even be a valid or suitable question for this forum, so apologies if not.

Post edited by HildaOgdenx on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod - OP, sorry for your loss. I have moved your query to the Insurance Forum where it is probably more suited.

Local charter now applies.

Hilda

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Sorry for your loss. If your wife has her own policy, it is likely she has a "driving of other cars" extension. This will provide 3rd party cover at least. Failing that, the legal representative/executor needs to contact the MIL's insurer to explain the situation and get your wife added on a temporary basis. It is unlikely the insurer will allow this facility to continue on a long term basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Condolences on your loss.

In situations like this ie the death of a policy holder, insurers are generally sympathetic and accommodating so your wife should ring her late mothers insurer this morning, explain the situation and ask to be added to the policy. Id be very surprised if they declined the request under the circumstances and assuming your wife has a clean driving record, it shouldn't be any issue. They will amend the policy into "Reps of the late xx" or something similar and allow the policy to run until its natural expiry date at which point they wont offer renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭thebiglad

In your position, I called the insurer and explained, they added me to the policy for 28 days to allow time to dispose of the vehicle - I only asked for 28 days so, possible I could have got longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭obi604

Thank you for all the replies. It just needs to be temporary.

But at least I have an idea now of the best route. Wasnt sure which insurance company to contact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭thebiglad

You'll get the insurer and policy number from the windscreen disc.

If its through a broker and you cannot find the rest of the documents to get their info then, insurer will advise you when you of broker details when you call as the broker will have to deal with the change for you.

Advertisement