Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating a new Ethernet wall socket

Options
  • 24-09-2023 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey everyone,

I currently have an Ethernet wall socket on the main room upstairs and living room downstairs. I wanted to install a new Ethernet wall socket on the office upstairs.

Question: the Internet router will be in the living room downstairs. Would I be able to create a spur of the Ethernet socket I have on the main room or would I need to run a new cable all the way from the living room to the office?

I would like to have all three Ethernet wall sockets working with Internet, but wanted to know if I have to run a cable from the source or if I could spur from an existing Ethernet socket.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭Gusser09

You could install a netgear hub. Run 1 cable from your modem to that and run cables from that then. You wont be able to split 1 ethernet to make. For each point you will need a physical cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

A spur?

So two devices connected to the same cable?

You'll need a hub. Where do the ethernet cables in the upstairs and living room go?

I doubt they're connected together.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

You won't be able to extend the existing Ethernet cable into the upstairs office - Ethernet on twisted-pair cable is point-to-point only.

But you can easily run a fresh network cable between the office and the main room upstairs. Either replace the single RJ45 socket in the main room with a double RJ45 socket, or else add a second single socket beside it. The new cable runs from the new socket in the main room to another new socket in the office.

Finally, to get it all working together, install a small 5-port or 8-port Ethernet switch in the main room. Connect one port to the original socket, one port to the new socket, and the remaining port(s) can to any equipment that was originally plugged directly into the wall socket. Now everything has access to the Internet, including anything you connect to the new socket in the office.

Here's a cheap network switch that will do the job - https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SG105S-Ethernet-Lifetime-Warranty/dp/B07HP5TN4S/

It needs power, so you'll need a mains socket somewhere close by as well.

If you wanted to do this without adding a network switch to the main room, then you'll need to do a direct cable run from the office down to the living room. You'll still need a network switch at that end, but chances are your Internet router has one built in.

Advertisement