Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

impeding access to property

Options
  • 23-09-2023 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I live in a row of terraced houses with limited parking, one of my neighbours parks at the end of the terrace and leaves 6 foot to the end of the 'Parking line', there is another 4 foot of 'free space, at the end of that, and then there is a road in front of that space, with double yellows, so basically, you can park tight to the parking line, even beyond it, and not impede anyone, and you do not have to parralel park, or maneuvre to get out etc, just drive forward you have 100m before anything else is in your way.,

Anyway, we are tight for parking spaces, so I park behind his car leaving about 6 inches between my car and his car, not blocking them in, as obviously, all they have to do is drive forward, Ive asked them numerous times if they could park a bit tighter to the line and more considerate of the other neighbours that arrive later and have to park a fair distance away, unnecessarily. I know there is no law saying what one should do, but courtesy should be expected on both sides.

Today a guard came down and said that my parking was impeding access to their property, I asked how? the guard said that they needed to access the boot, I said they had enough to walk in there, I had left a small space there, about 6 inches, and if they needed to get to the boot, they had loads of room to move forward.

The guard disagreed , and insisted I was impeding them-I put forth, what about if I had to parallel park in a tight spot, which I can do, with even one foot of space, the guard said, well then youre leaving space so its ok, I said, ok, but if I do it , so that my neighbours that come after me have a place to park, , then I'm breaking the law? the guard said, well they will just have to find somewhere else to park, if that's the case, so I said, 'if I park considerately, and that driver parks considerately, we all have a parking space- and back to square one-we have no right to parking spaces-

anyway, the end of it was, if I park close again, that they cant access the boot, then my van will be towed.

I rang a councillor, he knows the problems in the area, he said she cant have me towed for that, and that the guard is just bluffing, I hate not getting on with neighbours, but I've given up on the way some of these people park, just because they are unable to parallel park and don't see, or don't care about the consequences for others.

Has anyone got experience on the towing part, I don't need agreement or disagreement on the parking situation- Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I cannot see how the guard has any authority to tow the vehicle in those circumstances. A desire to access the boot is not impeding use of the car. I’m not even sure what law he is thinking about. Obstruction of the carriageway surely cannot constitute this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Guard talking manure, tell them to f off

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭carfinder

Do you have the name of the guard? Personally I would go to your local station and make a complaint. Guard cant make up the law as they go along

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Basically the Garda doesn't know what he is on about. Even if he was right, which he isn't, how does he know you weren't there first and they didn't reverse up to you. Basically you tried to be nice but your neighbour is one of those selfish ****s and either reported you or has a friend whose a Garda. So long as they can get in their car and drive away, you are fine.

What type of van have you? If it's a berlingo or similar, would it be worth asking the council can they paint in bays so that they have to park more appropriately, not sure if that's possible or not.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Park arse in and ring the Garda, say you can't acces your boot and get him towed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 oneday2day

I've been on to the councill about it-yeah, some people cant drive and expect others to accomodate them, which I don't mind doing, if they take responsibility and accept that others can help them, but they are not entitled to it- I'll let them at it now, they are miserable in life anyway, so I won't let it rent space in my head anymore. but I will say it to the guard if I hear from them again, and I also will tell them that if I hear something like that again, I will report it to the ombudsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Sounds like the garda is overstepping his boundaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Surprised at a Garda getting involved in something trivial and also being in the wrong about it. Could the neighbour have not spoken to you directly if they needed boot access?

I agree, the guard should not be getting involved in something like this, and the same neighbour was the one shouting abuse at me that I am an asshole etc., I just ignored it. In all fairness, I think it's a complete waste of my time and the guards time. If it happens again, I'll jsut tell them that I needed to get into the back of my van to get out things. -if they want to arrest ,me or tow me , then go ahead and do it, I'd like to see the tow truck come down to tow my van, they'd have to move their car forward-in all fairness, I know it's a quiet town, but have they nothing else to be doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,278 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Is it possible that the guard knows the owner of the other car? I can't see why else they are getting involved.

• Advertisement

that's odd if they are, I know plenty of guards, I wouldnt dream of asking them to do something like this-are they not risking themselves being reprimanded?

with the arrogance of some of them that probably wouldn't occur to them. I would be making a complaint at the station if I was in your shoes.

Thanks-I'll keep that in mind if I hear from them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭C3PO

would it be worth writing a letter and leaving it at the station?

I really don't want to escalate it, and dont want the hassle of reporting him, but I also don't wabt it to happen again.

I'm also disappointed that a guard, who is supposed to be unbiased, would take a side in a situation like this.

Also, since this has happened, the neighbour must have told others, so now they are all parking leaving about 5 foot space from the car in front. we have lost another space, and now another one of the neighbours will have to park somewhere else.

It is really silly that the neighbour has zero forsight amd cant see the consequences of them parking and leaving so much space, and also that the guard did not think ahead to the consequences of their actions.

The more I think about it, the sillier it gets-if the guard had played it forward, what did they foresee? A towtruck coming to move a vehicle , parked legally on a public road, and the car that it's 'impeding' has 10 or more feet of vacant space in front? Did they think what a judge would say if this were before them? did they think what the tow truck driver would say?

I'm actually disappointed in the guards on this occasion, I have always had respect for them, but this is just mind boggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Henry James

cop bluffing. No surprise. You should have asked him/her what law he would invoke to get you towed. I'd complain the cop. Probably knows your neighbour

• Registered Users Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

would it be worth writing a letter and leaving it at the station?

I really don't want to escalate it, and dont want the hassle of reporting him, but I also don't wabt it to happen again.

I'm also disappointed that a guard, who is supposed to be unbiased, would take a side in a situation like this.

Yes write a letter to the Super at the local station.

They've already escalated by getting a Garda to intimidate you with BS legal talk.

The Garda should learn that there are consequences for abusing their authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,773 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP if it's a small enough town: what is your own relationship with the GAA crowd like?

If you don't already know the connection between the neighbour and the guard, then you might stop and think about the possible consequences of winning a battle but losing the war before taking any more action.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chrisd2019

Where do you live, towing and what circumstances towing takes place is determined by the local authority. The Guarda if he was to return would most lightly knock on your door and tell you to move, rather than tow you away, assuming you in a designated parking area.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Can you not park in the space the neighbour parks in and see how they.like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,245 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What on earth has the GAA got to do with this?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

it turns out that the guard was wrong, whether they knew it or not is yet to be determined and irrelevant.

Ive asked for the guard to explain their error to the neighbour, so that this behaviour can be looked at from a rational and logical area, rather than an emotive state with false statements and false 'facts'.

The outcome may be the same, but at least it means the neighbour will no longer think that I was breaking the law, or that they have every right to park with so much space-or , just maybe they will start to think more considerately of others in the neighbpurhood-with their 10 foot of space in front of their car.

did the guard come back to you and admit they were wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

The garda is probably a friend of your neighbour's.

It sounds like the kind of thing someone would ask a mate who is a Garda, to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭ottolwinner

I had considered moving closer to town but posts like this make me glad I live remote

i feel the stress of it all op. Best of luck with your neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 34,245 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

no, Ive seen them around though-I've looked right through them. I've not acknowledged them or spoken to them or anyone of it any further. The parking has gotten worse, but that's what happens when someone hasn't a clue how to do their job.

It's the same in every line of work, I've worked in Hospitality, Construction, Healthcare, all it takes is one or two bad workers to cause chaos and lasting damage to a job.

Advertisement