Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctors who are in the HSE but do private work

Options
  • 23-09-2023 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

Can anyone explain to me!

How do doctors in midwifery who work for the HSE in HSE public hospitals in maternity also work private if you have insurance?

Someone said to me recently they are expecting, going the public hospital route, but as they have insurance they get a private doctor?

Always has normal midwives myself when going in with nurses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,732 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Eh, it's always been the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,169 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'm your private doctor. A doctor for money. I'll do what you want me to do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Not sure what the question is.

Yes, you can be a private patient in a public hospital. The supposed advantage is that you see the same doctor (of your choosing) every time, and you get a better room when you go into labour

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

I suppose that is the question, how does that work?

You can pay extra as a public patient in a public hospital to have a doctor who works for the HSE to give you better treatment?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

You get exactly the same treatment as everyone else but you will most likely see the same Doctor on every visit. You get a better room if one is available but that's not always possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭gipi

No, they would be a private patient, seeing a consultant privately (and paying accordingly). That consultant would have public appointments and private appointments, possibly in a different location. Public appointment patients might not see the actual consultant, they might see one of his\her team. Private patients would see the consultant, and pay the appropriate fee

Apart from guaranteed appointments with the doctor selected,and possibly a better room, I doubt there's a lot of difference between public and private treatment for childbirth. There may be differences between public and private for other health care (mostly seeing a consultant faster in the private system).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The treatment is no different, you get outpatient appointments at the time that suits the person and they get to see the consultant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

"I have my own private business in the hos-pit-al"

Advertisement