Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obituary - RTE & Hulu

Options
  • 22-09-2023 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭

A RTE/Hulu coproduction.

Starts September 26th on RTE and later in the year will arrive on Hulu.

Looks fun and nicely dark.

24-year-old Elvira Clancy is feeling a little unfulfilled, although she adores her new job writing obituaries, but when her newspaper falls on hard times and her boss cuts her salary, she finds herself being paid per obituary overnight. When she “accidentally” kills a nasty piece of work in the town, she discovers she might have a previously untapped bloodlust! She relishes using ever more crafty methods to kill off the town’s unpleasant residents while making them look like accidents. Stalk. Kill. Publish. Repeat. Unfortunately, a wrench lands in the works - the paper hires a suspicious new crime correspondent and she really, really likes him...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

First episode was on last night. Currently having a looking on the RTE Player all episodes are on it. Anybody here watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I meant to record it but forgot. I hate having to deal with the RTÉ Player so hopefully the first episode will be repeated on telly at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,920 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Repeated on Friday after the LLS.

The concept looks interesting to me, not sure how well it will sustain as a series but I'm like a broken record at this stage hoping for them as a once off movie.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I watched it and thought it was above my expectations. It is quite a good comedy having a go at the local small town or small village gobshites, but not quite so obvious outcomes.

{I am trying to avoid spoilers].

• Registered Users Posts: 85,075 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement

I found the first episode good enough maybe a little long.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Lemon Davis lll

Thought it was nicely offbeat with a couple of laugh out loud moments.

Quite un-RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭global23214124

On episode 2 now on the player and I like it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,075 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The lead reminds me of Charlenna McKenna mixed with Rooney Mara

It was quirky and funny enjoyed the narration, her thoughts, got a Pushing Daisies Ally McBeal vibe to it sort of

I will defo continue to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

I thought the first episode was quite good, I'll be watching the second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭tintin67

Very odd scheduling putting this on at 10.15 on a Tuesday night, it's the sort of thing that would normally get the Sunday 9.30 drama slot. I assumed it was going to be a total bomb and they were burning it off in this slot hoping not many people would notice it but it's actually quite decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Decent premise and good to see RTE trying something different. I wanted to like it but too many scenes fell flat for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

I binged the first three episodes last night. It’s a surprisingly great show for RTE. That being said there is external involvement so I’m putting it down to them not letting RTE screw it up. I think it’s getting an outing on HULU as well. Quite dark and very enjoyable. The Riedle death plot is interesting. Still not sure who exactly is involved.

Might finish it tonight but it’s been a long time since there was anything on RTE I wanted to recommend to anyone. This show bashes a huge change.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Reminds me a little of Dexter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

Pleasantly surprised by this,a good premise and well made and acted.

Will definitely be watching it all through.

I believe its already been picked up for a second series on Hulu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Have to say I enjoyed this. Some fine acting and different (unless I'm a bit out of touch with modern TV)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

Finished this last night. I thought it joined up pretty well. Well written and fairly strong til the end. There’s an opening for a second series so glad to see it’s renewed. I did have some reservations about the ending but not anything huge and I won’t spin anything for now.

It’s great to see an Irish show that is strong and stands up against international offerings. I’m fairly tempted to think that if this was an RTE solo effort it either wouldn’t have been made at all or would have been watered down considerably if it was.

Ckngrats to all involved with this show and thanks for giving us some real entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

First episode was the best so far. The second episode not as good as the first it took longer to get going but was OK then. Can not wait to see the rest of them.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭rdhma

Heh, I thought this thread was an obituary *for* RTE. Wasn't sure about Hulu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Watched it on the player last night. I really like it. Obviously the premise is far-fetched but I liked the performances, black humour, and production values. Very un-RTE as someone mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

I am catching up with this .... it is quite good and much better than most of the stuff they show us on Sundays .... it is a different style of series which is good ... not the usual police procedural stuff .... I watched Hidden Assets 1 and was not compelled to watch 2 and am not compelled to watch The Gone either ... I love Kin and Love/Hate ... and Obituary has a good feel like those ... but on a very different topic .... I feel when the villain is the main character the Irish series are always better ....

Advertisement