Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house - Attic without planning permission + Dividing a bedroom into 2 bedrooms

Options
  • 21-09-2023 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

I am thinking of buying a 2 bedroom house which also has an attic (attic does not have planning permission). We have 3 children so we were thinking of using the Attic as a bedroom but it seems without planning permission, it should only be used for storage? And, would this be an issue for a mortgage?

The house also has one bedroom which is quite big, and it could be split into 2 bedrooms with a stud partition wall. Do you need planning permission to split a bedroom? Both bedrooms would have windows and a door to the main hallway. And, would you need to change the house title plan?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

In terms of planning no permission required as they will be unaware of the changes and they are internal.

The changes most likely wont meet fire regulations/building regulations which will have an impact on your ability to sell the property in the future.

It will probably make insurance difficult to get if you are honest with the insurer, it will probably invalidate your insurance if you need to make a claim and you have not been honest with the insurer.

Changes will probably be made after drawing down a Mortgage so the bank will be unaware. If you are borrowing to make the changes the bank will insist that they are made according to regulations which will not come cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Is this a two storey or single storey house excluding the attic. This the key question

How do you know it des not have planning permission?

As storage wont be an issue for mortgage.

ps better off in Construction and planning

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Phil1969

It is a 2 storey plus attic. The agent told me no planning which is why advertised as 2 bedroom.

I am not sure how to move it to Construction and Planning.

Thanks

Thanks, a mod may move it.

The issue with an attic in a two storey is that it becomes 3 storey from a fire regs perspective and that is a world of hurt.

I am concerned about the safety of your children as opposed to reg compliance: The no planning line by the EA could be that it does not meet other building regs, excluding fire regs. That is not an issue that arises in bungalow conversions, I sold a converted bungalow last month with two big bedrooms upstairs, ensuite, listed as storage, as they didn't have enough head room, new owners got a big mortgage.

The 3rd floor is where the hurt is.

Go search for attic conversions TGD and read up on it: starter leaflet attached

Have you any pictures of the access to the attic

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Phil1969

You can see way the stairs and door is leading the attic in these photos. I don't have any photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

it seems without planning permission, it should only be used for storage? 

This is absolutely critical.

It must be described as storage when you buying or selling the house.

What you actually use the attic for when living there is completely, utterly and 100% your business. You absolutely can use it as a bedroom, you can put an office up there, you can install a bathroom if you want. You do not need permission, you do not have to comply with building regulations and you do not have to comply with fire regulations. There is no impact on the mortgage, the bank will not ask or care if there are beds in the attic.

So, if the house has 2 bedrooms on the first floor, plus the attic, and is being sold as a '2-bedroom' house, there is no issue here, buy the house and enjoy the extra space.

I am concerned about the safety of your children as opposed to reg compliance: signing off now

Advertisement