Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin dail protests - read OP before posting

Options
  • 21-09-2023 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭

Did RTE have a hidden agenda /‘skin in the game’ when it covered the protest yesterday outside the first day of the dail. Why ask? . Because on it’s 9 o’clock news it showed just a very brief flash across the various placards and the general attendance/ placard holders. So it was impossible to see what groups were protesting, what were they protesting about and to get a good look at the placard holders and their supporters.

After all ,the above information was in the public domain and was of public interest - and especially because (as per RTE reporter) it was more sinister / more intimidating / more aggressive than Dail protests to date.

maybe it’s due to the cut backs to expenditure in its photography department???????

Mod warning

This thread is about the protests. It is not an opportunity to go over ground that has been extensively discussed elsewhere, such as Coronavirus and vaccines, immigration, RTE etc. Yes these are the sort of topics that may be behind the protests, but we do not need to regurgitate stuff that has been and is still being discussed elsewhere in the forum/sub-forum

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

That level of detail is normally — and more effectively — communicated in the audio than in the visuals. I didn't see the broadcast. Did the announcer not say who was protesting, or what they were protesting about?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Have to say, I found the coverage a bit hysterical and OTT.

I looked at some of the videos circulating online.

Some unsavoury characters shouting and roaring, bad language, jostling and shoving, bad manners - yes.

It was incoherent and I Havnt a clue what the main issue of protest is - a mixture of issues probably - but the protestors were a fairly ineffective rabble.

But nothing “shocking” or hasn’t been seen before??

I don’t really get the level of Coverage it got.

I would totally disregard Healy Rae’s “concerns”.

An extremely disingenuous and opportunistic TD, he himself often indulges in over the top Bad mannered screaming and roaring when he thinks it will get attention.

I have no time for his “worries” - he has often “protested” (ie screaming matches) outside the Dail himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Funny I was thinking the same, can't find any mention of who or what it was about. Very strange

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Newstalk didn't seem to know who was involved either. I was listening to The Hard Shoulder and they had Michael Healy Rae and a journalist on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was looking at an article about it on the RTE news website yesterday and it was certainly far from obvious who was protesting or what they were protesting about. had to go to the irish times, who were not massively helpful in the text of the article, but the photograph accompanying the article was much more helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Thread more suited to the Current Affairs forum rather than Politics.

Please note the CA Charter before posting. https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057989814/forum-charter-read-before-posting#latest

• Registered Users Posts: 39,569 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Do they even know themselves?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Condemning gallows along with physical and verbal abuse to elected representatives of a democracy is not ‘hysterical and OTT’

• Registered Users Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's not surprising.

Just look at the state of boards.ie and the hatred towards politicians of all types you have here.

And boards.ie Is nothing compared to the rest of social media.

So it's no surprise that a bunch would appear at some stage at the Dail protesting aggressively about nothing in particular but at everything at the same time, and lacking the articulateness of more organized protests.

Jerry Buttimer on RTÉ at the moment calling for a “sterile zone” to be enforced around Leinster House area.

All sounds a bit OTT and Orwellian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭lmao10

Usual suspects doing their usual thing. We'll have an Irish Jo Cox situation unless the gardai cop on bigtime.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

What’s the alternative? Allowing violent and threatening protests to continue?

If it was ‘de left’ or BLM behaving in this way there would be a completely different attitude to this cesspit of a website.

lol classic. They all seemed like boomers who got roped in by grifters. It's quite common. There is a reason that 99% of attendants at these things are boomer aged people.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭TokTik

Maybe it will be a wake up call to the politicians of Dáil Éireann. They work for the people of Ireland. And they are answerable to the people of Ireland. Not the EU, not the UN and not the MNCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The fact that there were 13 arrests is an indication that it was not a normal day outside Leinster House.

Well firstly I would say there is already a “sterile zone” around Leinster House.

There are big gates and car parks and buildings surrounding it. The perimeters are manned (24/7 afaik) by the guards and also there are security staff patrolling.

So that is already in place. And rightly so, it’s a national parliament.

Would not support closing off roads in the area around LH though. There has to be balance.

Protests need to be policed according to the law - Yes.

But - on other hand, It wouldn’t be healthy in a democracy for TDs and Senators to “hide away” in a “sterile zone” which makes the bubble they live and work in even bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Christ, we’re already in with the “boomer” shite. 13 arrests aged between 20s and 60s - not quite sure what age a boomer is but that’s a wide range. You could have just said “shitheads”

• Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its the usual rent a mob dregs so its unlikely even they know wtf they are trying to protest about. So it would make trying to cover it in detail impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

These morons while thinking they are a "silent majority" just "asking questions" do not represent anything other than a fringe element of crackpots.

The people of Ireland are not represented by some far right scumbags and their boomer followers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,976 ✭✭✭✭event

Do you think they were actually protesting?

A bit OTT. Someone said to Healy Rae "There's a bullet with your name on it". I dont particularly like the man but saying that to someone going to work is a disgrace.

I'm sure all these protestors will be able to have a number of independents in the next GE and can get organized and actually run for Govt. SF will more than likely be in need of Independents to help them get the numbers so a big chance of getting in to the Dail.

Or will the all vote for Ben Gilroy?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Dead right, you tell it like it is.

Spot on.

And by the way there are local elections next summer, why don't you run, use it as a platform for the next general election, then you can get in and start doing things right, the way they should be done.

Keep up the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

was it a bank holiday I did not know about yesterday ?

how did all these 'patriots' have the day off ?

these are the first protesting against Ukraine etc, yet they are career leeches, paying for them from the day they are born till death. what ever money they get should be quartered.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Yes especially as the term boomer doesn't apply in Ireland. It's an American phrase for a particular generation.

We keep importing the American agenda and phrasing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,040 ✭✭✭prunudo

Glad I wasn't the only one scratching my head about who or what cause was actually protesting. Makes me wonder about a comment on another thread, are rte too cosy to government as they are cap in hand at present.

Media creating a big deal about some aggrieved protesters and the poor tds in the Dail having to use a different exit to leave.

Also raises the question, are they that detached from the mood of the nation, not realising there are plenty of pissed off voters out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,976 ✭✭✭✭event

How did you enjoy your trip to Dublin yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Boomer is an American phrase that doesn't apply here. Part of the problem at the moment is the importation of American rubbish. You're contributing to it by using American phrases that don't apply here as we did not have a baby boom then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

They are answerable to the people of Ireland. But what gives these scrotes outside the right to say they represent the “people of Ireland” and our views? Facebook poll, was it?

Advertisement