Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin dail protests - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭martco

still massively confused. Is this crowd ultimately rooted in that mad spanner "Litler"? there's defo funding for these "protests" and it has to be coming from somewhere, no way are these lads crowdfunding themselves locally.

the shitshow is incoherent to me, it smells like reheated Youth Defence/spuc mashed into NF and hyper conservative trumpy utterly loo-lah US bollocks.

but it's easy to fall into trap of derision looking on at this stuff and I'm finding it hard to believe there isn't a bigger nefarious purpose to it. is the aim to get some candidate over the line in forthcoming GE? cos even one of them successfully elected is the start of their cancer...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

A load of the same people who were at Jobstown were there yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The question is why is this happening now, what has changed to trigger it.

I've posted on this before but my guess is that there are communities that are not able to cope with the pace of social change moreso than economic. Anyone that points that out gets labelled as a crank, racist or something-phobe in order to get them to shut up. One only has to look at Miriam Lord's article in the times today - she mocks the man with the placard "I am angry" and "Ballybrack says no" in that it is just undirected anger but she knows well what they are angry about and knows why their placards cannot explicitly state it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Even if yesterdays mob had managed to behave like humans , the protest still wouldn't have been successful because they were "protesting" about a laundry list of things.

The only protests that work are ones that have a focused single issue that is clear and easy for everyone to understand.

There was no "message" from yesterday other than disorganised chaos leading to thuggery and illegal acts.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

We do deserve who we vote in but as they've been voted in, it is not up to a bunch of knuckledragging thugs to change that through violence. It was one step away from the Jan 6th Capitol riots in terms of attacking our democracy.

I don't think I would agree with any policy put forwards by MHR but I will stand up and defend his right as an elected member of our Dáil to put it forwards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The problem is it's getting harder and harder to draw the dole and sit on your hole these days with the current cost of living and some people have had enough 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭thomas 123

You obviously believe it’s an inaccurate poll due to the absence of irrelevant demographics.

I don't think a protest outside the Dail has ever successfully delivered change - there's some group or other there nearly every day whistling into the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

They definitely seem to be the uneducated and the 'left behind'. Those were very flat Dublin accents yesterday, clearly from the inner city or rough areas in the suburbs. I guess they see their 'movement' as being an anti-establishment one....they see the government and the MSM as their outright enemies, peddling lies and working to screw them over and keep them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

I don't know if there is an ultimate root for this. I'm sure some of them have sprung from the "Littler" side of the fence but not all. I think they're largely opportunists who've stumbled across a way of earning fame and money without having to do a tap of work. I don't know if they're united enough to try and get any election candidates elected. I think it's more a case of every man & woman for themselves, though sharing the same platforms.

I once heard a commentator on the radio saying that people like these don't really want power (i.e. being elected politicians in government). What they want is to move the needle nearer to what they want. Having an Irish Freedom Party TD in the Dáil isn't really what they want. But if you have refugee accommodation being closed down or LGBT books removed from libraries they'll take it as a win and profit financially from it. There are people who are happy to pay them for their activism. I have no idea who they are how how much they get but it seems to be worth their while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Agree, Ireland has changed a lot over the past 2 decades and with an accelerating rate of change post Covid due to world factors. Only the well off are anyway sheltered from the effects of this change.

I think you're largely on the money there although I think they see their enemy as the broader political system and media than just the government.

It's something of a chicken and egg problem though - they have no public voice because they fail to engage with the political system and don't engage with the system because they have no voice.

At the moment this broad church of disaffected is surrounded by grifters but it probably a matter of time until someone with a brain uses this anger to organise something politically effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I work with some highly educated people who have very “Dublin “ accents, this a very snobbish post

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'm from a working class part of Dublin myself and hear working class accents every day of the week. But their accents, combined with the non stop "F"s and "c**ts" in every single sentence tells me these are out and out skangers and no ordinary working class Dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yesterday goes beyond protest in its violence, intimidations, threats and calls for murder

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Jackiebt

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Go get a job ye bums and contribute. Anyone I know personally that is involved in these right wing mobs are unemployed which in todays economy is actually an achievement.

Losers, the absolute losers of life these people are.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The Pensioner protest a few years ago got exactly what they wanted.

The actual "public protest" wasn't the key part but its clarity and focus allowed all concerned to know exactly what they wanted and how they would punish the government of the day if their aims weren't achieved.

What do these protestors actually want, does anybody know?

Do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Amazing the over reaction to this in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

I don't know if they actually want anything from the gubberment. It's more of an opportunity to make money for the grifters in their number. This will all have been live streamed to their followers. There's money to be made from being a disruptor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Become Death

I'm just waiting for it to be called an insurrection.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The worst part is I feel sympathy for politicians today, that is all this mob achieved

• Registered Users Posts: 16,001 ✭✭✭✭event

A poll cant be inaccurate. The results are the results.

However, whether it represents the feeling in Ireland at the moment, I am not so sure.

I'd say, broadly speaking, they are looking for a slow down, stoppage or reversal of the social changes that are ongoing in their communities.

They are very disparate groupings though with anger and alienation the only real common thread among them.

The same shower who historically would have sat in the backrooms of dodgy pubs singing F*ck the Brits and Up the Ra to the Wolfe Tones

That certainly applies to the "organisers" but for the rag tag collection of randomers that turned up , do they know why they were there and what they were hoping to achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭thomas 123

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Economics101

The gallows bit remind me a little of Jan 6th in Washington DC. Fortunately we don't have a Trumpster anywhere near office to incite them any further.

And please no more refenence to "Far Right": these people are just beyond any sort of political thinking, awareness or ideology.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

Agreed. Amazing to see so many crybaby politicians playing the victim card on the radio this morning. Get over yourselves ffs, it was a vocal protest, nothing more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Of course they are far right - anti immigrant, anti refugee, anti LGBT, anti democracy and violent

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement