Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Has anyone sold their car to Joe Duffy VW?

Options
  • 19-09-2023 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi. Just wondering if anyone has sold their car to Joe Duffy VW?? I'm assuming they pay under the market value but was wondering by how much. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Motor dealerships will offer what they consider to be the trade value of the vehicle. The market value is the price they will advertise it for sale at, the difference being their profit. I have a car for sale at the moment - not a VW - which I contacted ZuCar Dublin about. Zu Car is owned and run by Joe Duffy. They offered me €1500 less than another, smaller, non-franchise dealership. So, that might give you some indication of their business model. Anyway, shop around, so to speak.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Why not ask them directly?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Haddonfield

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What are you trying to sell? If it's something that doesn't fit their criteria to retail on their forecourts then they may just offer it to the trade at the highest offer. That is usually where the lowball offers come from.

Ultimately you will pay for the convenience of not having to sell it yourself privately.

In March 2023 i purchase a car directly from Volkswagen for 24,000. They have the exact same car, model and trim currently on their forecourts today for 24500. I have had the car 5 and a half months. They offered me 16000. Work that one out!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭User1998

How much were you expecting? This seems like another thread where people think they can sell their expensive car back to main dealers after 6 months of ownership and only loose €1k.

If a main dealer is advertising for €24k, we can assume independent dealers are advertising for closer to €20k? And that would mean they can be bought privately or through the trade for less than that figure. So they have no reason to offer any more than that just because you bought the car recently. They aren’t obliged to buy your car back and you don’t have to accept their offer. If you think its worth more then try selling it privately yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭goochy

fact you purchased car directly from VW might have had some bearing on price offered ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

To be fair, even taking into account a full year's depreciation on the car, offering 8k less than what they are currently looking for similar on their forecourt seems like a piss take to me. Either the OP was robbed when buying it back in March or they are trying to rob them now. If these big umbrella glass palaces need to buy these cars for 8k less than what they are retailing them at then their business model is seriously fucked up or they are coining it.

i find it a bit fishy that someone was able to buy a car direct from VW and they are now selling it ?

if they knew someone in VW to buy directly why cant they organise a dealer to buy from them ?

• Advertisement

They’re under no obligation to buy the car tho or even make an offer. Maybe they just didn’t want the car. I’m sure they have their usual avenues where they can buy cars cheaply. Such as trade contacts or their own trade ins.

What is fishy about it?? I bought the car 6 months ago but not too impressed with it?

Really??? 8 grand difference in 6 months! Im guessing you are a dealer or work for VW!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,538 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭GavPJ

The days of traders buying cars from main dealers is nearly entirely gone I'm afraid. Especially from the Joe Duffy Group,

they send all the cars they can't retail to the auctions.

if Joe Duffy sees that car was bought directly from VW , they are likely to assume you didnt pay retail and therefore probably say they will chance giving low offer .

if you bought it at a discounted price VW probably wouldnt be keen on you selling it on now , otherwise you would have asked your contact to help you sell it through the network ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Something smells a little off here.

Joe Duffy have 1 VW around the price of €24,500 listed for sale on their website - https://www.joeduffy.ie/vehicle/volkswagen-golf-191d32444-12632

Are you trying to sell a 2019 Golf 1.5Tsi Highline with 55,000km - 60,000km? I'd expect a buy in price of €19k - €20k for something like that, in good condition.

Retail price and trade price are too completely different things. Especially with main dealers

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Water2626262

I think they are notorious for low balling. I was looking at a car there and was offered 15k on my trade in. Got 20k for the same car from a Toyota dealer.

I really don’t know understand how a customer be satisfied when they trade in a car and see it being sold for 8k more a few weeks later. I understand car prep etc but that is huge margin. Especially if the car only needs a valet and an oil change at best. I’ve never traded in a car that needed anything. Not to mention the margin they are making on the car you purchase.

Unfortunately for the OP they are in a weak position. They want rid of the car and dealers will low ball them all day. Always going to take a hit selling or trading in a car that was recently purchased.

• Advertisement

Think it’s a way of saying we don’t want the car . Another contributor on boards sold his Xc90 to zucar and it wasn’t marked up a huge amount but struggled to sell and had to be reduced in price . I don’t think dealers are as desperate to buy used cars as they were as supply has improved . Selling the car on sale of return might work better

If you don't want the hassle of selling your car, your at the mercy of the likes of Zucar.

I cant understand dealerships and the likes of Zucar lowballing though by such a cheeky amount. Rang my local main dealer about my car, 2017 with 65kms at the time, was working from home and thought might move it on to get a cheap run around. Sent pictures and full service history etc, they came back with an offer of 12k for a car with less mileage than the one on their forecourt for 18k. I actually didn't even respond to the offer.

They told me, servicing costs, photos (LOL!) and having to provide warranty was the reason why the offer was what it was.

Having said that, going through the hassle of trying to sell it privately and dealing with time wasters I'd probably take the option if I had no other choice.

Advertisement