Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Providing Banking Transactions for Mortgage Application

Options
  • 19-09-2023 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi I'm just wondering what level of detail is required when providing statements to banks or brokers.

I find it invasive to send over something like revolut. Do they really need to know i sent my sister 20 euro for lunch on Tuesday at 1pm? Why is an aggregate of income and outgoings not enough?

Can I blank out some of the information and just keep the amounts? So they would know what I spent just not/where?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

The lender will want to see every transaction on every account that you use for the previous 6 months. If you redact any then they'll ask for an unredacted copy or just decline the mortgage.

They won't care about the €20 to your sister but they will care if you're spending €100's on gambling sites.

Its really not that invasive when you're asking them to lend you a few €100K.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭phormium

Bank couldn't care less about your sisters 20 quid and will quickly scan over those sort of transactions and not even notice or remember them! They are looking for other things, blocking some out will just make them suspicious!

You're on the back foot here looking for money from them so it's their rules I'm afraid.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You want their money and they need to be as sure as the can that your are genuine, so they need to see your original documents. You need to gain their trust, if you blank out or alter documents, then all you do is register yourself as untrustworthy in their minds and greatly reduce your chances of getting the mortgage you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Redacted anything is a red flag - the sign of someone that you don't want to do business with.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Revolut does have a "hide transaction" feature for hiding that 20 quid to onlyfans your sister. They're probably not going to notice the total amount being off by 20 quid or so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Bad advice. You are trying to establish a credible reputation with a financial institution who's decision will have a significant impact on your lifestyle. It is not the time to go playing silly bugger games.

And yes I'd notice immediately that the balance was off, it's what I was trained to do. I spent over 30+ years involved in finance in one way or another and it never ceased to amaze me how the amateur fancy their chances against the professionals. They would not bet on their local parish soccer team beating Man. Utd., but their they are trying to fob you off with some cock and bull story, that you almost alway have heard before...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Aside from what Jim said being 100% correct, that only hides transactions from the transaction listing within the app, not the generated statement.

Advertisement