Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rolex Service

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭893bet

A datejust? Dial swaps with genuine parts (dial colour swap often) and not genuine parts (aftermarket diamond dials) very common. A murky under belly. “After market dial” you see regularly on adds….:so a fake dial….

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Any one replace a datejust crystal recently? I’ve chipped the edge of mine and wondering what price range a replacement is just out of interest. Will leave it till service time regardless.

Also scraped the ar coating on my seamaster which is fairly noticeable.Anyone have that fixed before ?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

They quoted £81.60 for my Daytona although if it wasn’t done as part of a service I’m sure there’d be a labour charge.

Thought that was quite reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

OEM Cyrstal is around 300 euro plus fitting and testing. iChrono did one for me in the last while cost me about 500 all in, was shattered mind you so the movement needed cleaning and checking. A aftermarket crystal is really cheap but who wants that.

• Advertisement

Yes, as part of the service. They’re saying there are some microscopic scratches on mine so I won’t get it replaced. It looks perfect to my eyes.

Ichrono be alright for that? Definitely couldnt have spurious crystal on it although some here would class that as being modded and cool for avoiding the rolex overlords .

I wonder with Weirs being a rolex service center now does that mean theyll do the repairs there instead of sending it back to Rolex. Must give them a call and see.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

+1 Unless like in the case of vintage where OEM replacement aren't available I'd always go OEM, even regardless of resale, but triply so for any higher end stuff. Even with vintage stuff in my case I've always looked for NOS OEM first and only gone third party if I couldn't source OEM. When I see youtube 'restorers' slap on generic crowns on vintage, when original, oft NOS crowns are an ebay search away... And not replacing mainsprings as a matter of course? Da fuc? You've gone to the trouble of taking it apart and then pat themselves on the back with amplitude of 200(they shouldn't), replace the mainspring ffs. /rant😁

Then there's the practical stuff like water resistance. Would I trust a spurious crystal and fitting over a Rolex one? Not on your nelly.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭893bet

While papers from Rolex following service is a nice to have; if you already have the original papers and are happy with the provenance (though if you are worried about provenance then no advantage from that point of view as you will lose your watch…..as it’s not really yours).

Really I see it as a case of protecting your investment. If I was buying a 5 figure watch and the seller told me some amateur had serviced it/regulated it or whatever I would be turned off. Even if they used an independant I would be looking to know if original parts had been used. Or otherwise you could be reselling it in 5 years and be told “the hand in the watch are aftermarket” or similar.

Like having an expensive car and using budget tyres. Doesn’t make sense to me personally.

What you’re saying tallies exactly with my view. I’m not selling the watch but there’s now a question mark over it, even though the London boys have rowed back on it. I have the papers etc but I want proper reassurance that it hasn’t been tampered with and that can only come from Rolex Switzerland at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mdo

I am happy with Rolex service. We spent $800 for a complete service on my wife's 20 year old Datejust at Rolex New York, NY. Included is a 2 yr warranty and certification that all parts are genuine Rolex....

Advertisement