Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Resale Value -v- Trade in Value

Options
  • 17-09-2023 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just wondering about this.

I'm thinking of selling or trading in my current car as I want to switch to an automatic (knee problems). Not considering an EV at this time.

I have an estimate for the resale value for my car - a 171 nissan micra with 77k on the clock from cartell, - but I am wondering what percentage I can realistically expect knocked off that by a dealer.

Hopefully I'd be purchasing the new (used) car from them too. Or would I be better off selling privately rather than trading in.

I've traded in cars before, but they didn't really have much value left in them, but this one does.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭User1998

Cartell estimate is probably inaccurate. Find the cheapest similar one on Donedeal and take a couple of thousand off.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭mk7r

They will probably offer between 5 and 6k depending on spec and condition, if it's the new shape (came out mid 2017) it's worth a few k more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

It is that later one.

Cartel estimate is more than double that, so for €5-€6k I'll run it into the ground first!

I guess I won't be trading up, so!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭mk7r

If it is the new shape (post a pic) then it is definitely worth more but forget the cartel valuation, its pure fantasy

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭shane b

Looking at done deal, a 2017 new shape micra seems to be 10-11K private or 14 k from a dealer. The older shape ones are going for a bit less. If your trading id say maybe 9 or 10k from a dealer depending on how generous they are.

We are considering trading our people carrier which is in a similar price range and we have found trade in values to be 4k below what it would sell for in a dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭User1998

Trade in price is irrelevant anyway. Cost to change is the important figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

This magic 4K number makes me laugh

I got a 181 Auris from Toyota for 21.5, seven months later its worth 17 or so

Go and look for a 191 24 or so, I am guessing then be worth 20 or so

SO goes on the 4.5 roundabout

The thing is, the car I'm actually interested in buying is approx €4k less than the value of my micra. Both dealer prices!

Decisions, decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭shane b

In that case you may be able to negotiate some sort of a swop or something. My brother in law done that years ago, drove in an Astra and drove out with a Leon. He had to go down a year on the leon though to make it worth the dealers time.

Yes, I'd be going down a year but I think the car I'm considering will suit my needs better. (Bloody knees). It's also got lower mileage than my own.

I'm drive less than 8K miles a year in total, probably closer to 6k on average, so I don't need anything ultra high spec. Safe, reliable, well maintained and clean, are my top priorities, rather than year (or colour!).

I'm going to drive by the forecourt later and have a closer look, without being obvious about it.

thanks all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement