Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best place to buy a type 2 to type 2 cable

Options
  • 17-09-2023 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭

Hey all , sorry ev newbie here

I'll need a type 2 to type 2 cable for the slow chargers in work, where is the best place to buy and is there a specific one ? i see prices vary hugely online

Thanks

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

Ideally a manufacturer branded one still in the packaging. Failing that maybe an own brand from a big European website. There are Irish sellers such as ePower but you pay for the service. UK can have import taxes. EU should arrive quick. From china buyer beware and ensure it has correct connectors.

There is little to go wrong in these.

Check your car specs. Most cars are 7kW single phase 32 amp. A few are 11kW 3 phase, very few like Zoe are 22kW. There is a difference in charging speed but more importantly weight. Full 22kW have 3 times the wires inside and so are heavier. So I recommend buying 7kW for most cars.

Length is important too. Sometimes in public the charger may be blocked by a non charging car. Longer than standard cables mean you can park 1 or 2 spaces away and get your cable to reach the charger, problem solved. These are sometimes called ICE breaker cables but just longer than standard. I recommend avoiding coiled twisty cables as they end up sorter than you think and can pull on connectors.

If you state exact car, spec and year we can check.

Avoid any 16a cables.

Main thing is to keep plug ends dry and ensure its fully pushed home every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Thank you great post!

its a new MG4 excite LR so 11kw AC type two from what i gather, there are two charge points in work so ill be able to reverse into the charger and be no more than a few mtr's away

I'll have a zappai at home, but the work charging is handy and always nice to have a type 2 if i get stuck and cant get a rapid charger

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Type 2 AC should be your default charging option, and rapid charging as little as possible, to be used only when on long trips where you're running the battery down to low numbers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

New car without Type 2 cable, shame on seller

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I think Screwfix might carry them? No idea of their quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

ya id say ill see a rapid charger once in a blue moon, it will be my zappi at home or the one at work.

Now to be clear i havent gotten the car yet, they did mention the one but it wasnt in the cables in the boot when i viewed, i wont be buying until the car turns up! :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Jesus, where are you pulling that from, nothing wrong with frequent rapid charging, it’s what car are designed for and software managed.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

A mate of mine picked up a mennekes type 2 charging cable for me recently from eBay as the MG ZS I bought came without the cable. He’s based in NI so not sure of the import duty but all in it was 128 euro and it’s a 7.5M cable. He swears by eBay for the cables. Seems to be a lot of what look to be reputable EV Part suppliers at a quick glance. I’d say go with eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭10-10-20

A 16A cable is fine if that's what you actually need.

Just for reference, the available charging rate over the AC cable using the type-2 connector is dictated by a resistor placed between the earth (PE) and the PP (proximity pin) at both the vehicle and charger ends of the cable. The resistance is read by the vehicle and charger and this then indicates the maximum rating of the charging cable as per this table:

1500 Ω resistor – 13A cable

680 Ω resistor – 20A cable

220 Ω resistor – 32A cable

100 Ω resistor – 63A cable

A bit of discussion and circuit diagram here:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

In simple terms avoid 16a cables. There is a risk for average buyer they may end up with half speed real world charging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Brock Stevens

https://www.evchargeking.com/en/

bought a couple of this company. Fantastic quality and very quick shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 evbreakers

Advertisement