Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ground Source Heat Pump Replacements

Options
  • 16-09-2023 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭

Anyone replaced their original pump, and can recommend installers.

Pump life is 20 years on paper, so replacement numbers will begin to grow in the coming years, possibly earlier than initially expected given the number of in inefficient systems (due inexperienced installers).

Recent report suggested 50% of pumps are still being installed in sub-optimal ways, so given the cost of a large pump finding a good installer is important. With a large pump outlay in my case getting a good installation is very important to ensure return on investment time is reasonable.

😎

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Curiousness99

I just replaced mine this week. The installer installed the original one 18 years ago, I needed a new tank and talked myself into getting a new heat pump with an integrated tank,

Slight lost opportunity in that the original was installed in the garage but would have been very costly, and require other work to fit in house; plus Installateur advised problems more likely. (Plus I’ve spent way more than I was planning on stuff and no cash left)

I’m interested to see how it will perform over the winter, fair few upgrades made over the last year so impossible to do a like for like but expecting cosier house (improved insulation and air tightness) and hopefully lower bills too as it should be more efficient than the old one

Was talking to installer when he was here and he said in his experience hps last around 15 years and whilst they may last a lot longer they become increasingly expensive to maintain after that

installer is very busy and if you are really not in a hurry I can pm details?

Post edited by Curiousness99 on

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭jasgrif11

I'm currently in the same boat. I installed a Nibe Fighter 1240 back in 2007. My installer told me recently, when servicing it, that it has anywhere from 1-5 years remaining in its life. In fairness, I haven't had many problems with it.

While there are still grants available, I'm currently researching options. I'm looking at the Nibe 1255. @Curiousness99 , which model did you go with?

Given I now have a big battery, I'm also interested in the power it draws and can it be integrated into HA etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Curiousness99

I’ve gone with nibe s1255, since it’s two phase it doesn’t just ramp up to max usage so I’d guess it doesn’t make the battery work so hard as it’s drawing lower power a lot of the time

we had very few problems to with the old fighter one too

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Ketron

Are there any recommendation for GSHP that can be installed outdoors? We have an old Neura system, thats next to impossible to get anyone to look at. The compressor itself was replaced about 10 years ago with a panasonic one, but the whole system doesn't work great in winter to be honest and runs at full speed all the time (I think at least, power consumption is a constant 3kW draw)

Ideally I'd like to use the existing infrastructure and just replace the heat-pump and control unit with a modern device.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I have a NIBE but it is A2W. Last winter I would charge up the battery at night and run the house and HP for the day.

I don't use HA but normally the HP runs under 1kW so no issues. Don't think I've seen it much over 2kW ever.

Can you put a meter on your current HP, you would at least know what it draws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Anyone able to give guide price on the 12kw Nibe ground pumps?

😎

Advertisement