Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy time: route for a 2nd Dublin metro?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭loco_scolo

Well yeah, lots of active travel, but a Luas line and 4 core bus routes would still pass through College Green. Closing it for major infrastructure works would be highly disruptive.

Also, if the plaza is finished and successful, the idea of tearing it up to run trams through could be very unpopular. I don't think it will ever happen TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Pedestrian area surrounded by bus stops. ABP rejected the original plan because they felt it severed too many cross-city bus routes (there is a bus through-way in the plans, but it could not cope with the number of buses needed). BusConnects has re-jigged those routes so that College Green/Dame Street is no longer such a major trunk, but until that happens, theyre's no chance of a change.

eScooters are currently a pestilence in urban spaces. I accept that they could be very useful in theory, but right now they are not being used safely in spaces shared with pedestrians or cyclists. (Yes there will be paragons of e-scootering virtue along to dispute this view, but they must know they're in the minority of users of these things)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

When the legislation is rolled out, it might help. <25kmhr shares cycling infrastructure, anything faster shares the roadway with other motorised vehicles.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I would build Howth junction to Tallaght to Rathcoole but then I would extend it all the way out along the Naas dual carriageway in order to create new rail based suburbs. These would come in later phases.

And I would go via Greenhills Road and Ballymount and redevelop the industry there to higher density. Forget Templeogue.

If it’s crayons ye want… I’ve got them :)

This is pure idle fantasy, and while I’ve tried to make it sort-of fit, that’s about all I’ve done…

So, I’ve added two further lines. The orange one is what I think should be built next: from Donaghmede in the Northeast to Firhouse in the Southwest (maybe hooking north at the end, and joining Red Line in Tallaght), but running roughly North-South through the city centre.

It’s probably not possible until a full network is in place, but the two links I’ve shown with the first Metrolink line would allow four services to be run with these two lines: Swords-Charlemont, Swords-Firhouse, Donaghmede-Charlemont and Donaghmede-Firhouse. Actually putting those in would mean closing Metrolink, though.

The third line, in red here, runs roughly East-West. This would start in Lucan and do a loop around the South inner city. Yes, I put a stop in at Dublin Zoo, because they’re my crayons! (Also, it’s the most visited paid attraction in the country - anyone who’s ever tried to park there in Summertime wouldn’t mind)

The links between the second and third line allow for quite a lot of service options, including the “Culchie Special” : Heuston to Clonliffe Rd, or, for that matter a link from Heuston to Dublin Airport if the link between 1 and 2 were done.

Of course, both of these are way, way more expensive than Metrolink, as they will have to go deep in places to cross other lines, and some of the city stations will have to be mined out too. The Firhouse-Donagmede line also has to deal with the Port Tunnel somehow… maybe a level crossing could be created? 😝

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Royal Canal seems to have grown legs!

Doh! What was I thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Metro 2:

Tallaght - Kimmage - Harold's Cross - City Centre - Drumcondra - Beaumont - Coolock - Howth Junction - Howth (taking over Dart branch)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I would do Tallaght to the city centre, going through Ballymount Industrial estate.

The benefit of this is that the industrial estates along the red line could be developed to medium density housing. Likewise Ballymount Industrial estate could be developed to housing.

This is already planned with "City Edge" project.

At least 100,000 people could live and work in this new urban quarter.

This gives good quality of life if well planned as just 15 minutes from city center.

I'm not sure of other stops, maybe Crumlin - St Teresa's Gardens - Newmarket Sq.

It would intersect with the other Metro at Charlemont maybe or Tara or SSG.

This part might not be feasible but I'd develop Poolbeg peninsula into a Canary Wharf type development with high rise offices and apartments.

It would require phasing out the industry and power stations and putting the sewage plant underground.

But it could be really amazing with beaches and parks and Pigeon House could be a museum maybe.

So the Metro would continue out to Poolbeg with stops at Grand canal dock, glass bottle site also.

Advertisement