Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quitting Job Advice

Options
  • 16-09-2023 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello,

Just looking for some external advice here before I make any hasty decisions. 

Basically, I work in retail banking the past 18 months, full time, permanent 9-5 job (32k per annum). I also work a side hustle every weekend as a musician in a busy corporate/wedding band (very nice reliable money maker (steady €500+ / week, stable, lovely bunch of lads, love it).

I have a 3yr old and a fiancée who also works part time 3 days a week and contributes to bills. We are renting a property the past 4yrs. No debts. Just a car loan and your typical weekly outgoings.

The 9-5 has been going reasonably well until recently whereby the management have shown their toxic side and understaffing issues have become very difficult to work with. Picking up slack after my holidays was the last big one for me. Not a tap done in my absence and I spent a whole day sorting through someone elses shortcomings. Lots of blame games being thrown around for this work not done which was off my watch (a bit rich), double standards, a nice chunk of revolving door syndrome, just a sh*tty environment that doesn't really show much scope at present for progression or improvement. I really should have listened to other employees gone before me or in fact stayed in my last job as I was at least happier on less money. Hindsight is always 20/20

I really don't enjoy going to work anymore. Overworked and underappreciated really. It's becoming increasingly apparent that work/life balance is a big issue in there amongst the team.

Seniority rules the day with regards to summer time off. No chance unless you're a dinosaur really. I got over that fact after I started but the fact I had issues swinging a dental appointment for tooth extraction only last week (manager asked me to move the appointment, told me its not ideal as we're stuck for staff to cover and how you're only back off annual leave and suggested if I could come back after appointment that would be great. Hilarious!), also had issues getting another half day to get to an interview. Telling lies got me to both. Not how it should be in my book. Manager just loves to grill and interrogate over every little time off request from staff. They're also planning on moving me to another department next week which I know I won't enjoy at all. If things go wrong during the day, you get kept back sorting things out and your dare not ask for OT!! Could be 6pm or after before you see the door. Ridiculous.

Ideally, I'd like to move to a mon-fri hybrid/WFH position to have more flexibility and for it to fit around the weekends for my band work AND of course to actually enjoy the 9-5 slog a bit more.

However... after a lot of ups and downs and deciding to stay/go/confusion I'm wanting to hand in my notice (of 1 month duration) next week without anything concrete lined up. For my sanity at least!! I had an interview for a WFH position in finance industry 3 days ago so awaiting news on that this coming week. I felt it went very well but you never know with the competition out there.

If I was to quit now my thinking is; 

Pros:

• I'll still have the weekend band income (2 to 3 gigs) which pretty much equates to a week's work in the 9-5 by itself so I reckon that could hold us over pretty comfortably until I get my foot in the door of a new place. Just cut back on luxuries here and there in the name of happiness.

• I'd also have a lot of free time to job hunt and not have to keep stressing over getting time off with this pest of a manager, squeezing in teams interviews on lunch breaks, etc.

• I'd have the opportunity to interview with a clear happier mind and possibly more motivation in doing so.

• The job market seems stable compared to 1 to 2yrs ago??

The cons: 

• January 2024 is quiet for the band (as is January every year) so I'd need to save a surplus to cover that IF I didn't swing a job opportunity over the next 3 month period. Bills won't stop in January, well aware. Christmas is busy though so there's that.

• We're saving for our wedding next year (the band covers these savings primarily). So that would be on hold as one of my incomes by itself wouldn't suffice for saving/living. a good bit sorted for that (suppliers deposits paid, first downpayment for venue being paid next week etc)

So...what do you reckon? Pull the trigger on my existing toxic environment, knuckle down on job hunting and tighten the budget a little to see us through OR

Stay put, hate the grind, hate fighting with my boss over lying and trying to squeeze in interviews and the general stress that comes with the job before all that?

Thanks!

TL;DR : Should I quit full time job without another job lined up, self employed musician as backup

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Firstly I'd look at what jobs are available internally in head office. The culture in head office is usually completely different to a branch. That way you keep your years service.

Otherwise just look elsewhere. I wouldn't recommend quitting without something lined up as the industry is fairly small.

But yeah the problems you're experiencing are pretty common in that sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Newclassic1

Head office is in Dublin haha I'm in Cork. The hardest struggle in there is getting out of branch. Everyone says it. It's almost hailed as a miracle when someone achieves back office status let alone upto the gods in a department.

I'm not in a position whereby we'll be broke between jobs.

Also, prepared to switch industries to customer service, admin etc once it's a 9-5 mon-fri and possibly hybrid/wfh

It seems to be easier said than done, to stay and suffer this every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Simple rule is have a job lined up before quitting the existing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,532 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'd agree with the others, don't quit this one until you have something else lined up. I did that years back and the fear is real!

Unless it's really taking a huge mental toll on you, then hang in if you can.

On the plus side it can make things a little bit more bearable knowing you'll be leaving soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭HazeDoll

If you have a lucrative and stable weekend earner you might consider working part-time in your current job. You'll probably find that after tax you hardly feel the difference in your paycheques and you might find that everything you currently hate about the job suddenly becomes less of a problem.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the response. Fear of being broke or what? I feel I have zero prospects of time off in current role to be able to interview properly without stress? I'll have a 2nd job to hold me over so the fear wouldn't seem all that menacing...

Yes this had crossed my mind alright. I think I'll approach management about a reduction in hours to possibly 3 to 4 days a week. I'm not hopeful as the only staff that tend to get that arrangement are those just back from maternity leave or have been there half their lives and done their tenure. If they fail to come to some agreement I would still be considering a way out as quick as possible.

It's definitely not sustainable 5 days a week as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,714 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Normally I'd say the same.

But this is someone with a substantial side-gig, so it's a bit different: they have a baseline.

OP, what kind of band? Don't answer that exactly here, but think about if you could grow the music work, if you didn't have a 9-5. Is there any chance you could teach music, or do funerals (they're lucrative, but hard to plan!)

I work for a well known wedding band in Munster area. It's the bread and butter for two members so it has to be reliably busy. Members like myself and 2 others have day jobs aswell. If we were to get busier I'd walk instantly but unfortunately the other lads have careers and probably would leave the band before the jobs.

If you consider the average income from band per week it exceeds the bank job income which is often depressing considering how enjoyable I find one of them and how much crap one must endure on a daily basis to make less money. Of course, It can't stand alone in the long term because the reason I have both is to be able to save (Wedding fund/holidays, etc)

I do have the privilege of seeing over a year ahead on a band group calendar and cancellations are very rare so I can sit here with confidence and say I'd clear 2000 most months after dropping the day job. That's if we have 2 weddings a weekend. Often there's more so it fluctuates.

Another side to it is the gap on the CV, I'd pretty much have to come up with a story of needing a break or travelling for a few months to cover any break in employment OR just declare that I'm self employed in the entertainment business and relied on that whilst I looked for something more work/life balance friendly.

I'm glad someone can see the baseline but great to get differing inputs on this. Fear rules the day for most of us unfortunately

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I'd never leave one job before I got another. Even if I had your lucrative side hustle going on. It is much easier to get a job when you have one, it never looks good at an interview when you have left a job. Imo. fwiw

• Advertisement

It pays to not live in fear. I handed my notice in on Wednesday last and it put the sh*ts up HR and every one of my managers. Before I knew it, they had me into a meeting to discuss further options. They proposed an internal transfer to a closer branch (<10mins drive). I mulled it over for 2 days and decided to go for it yesterday.

A sure sign that it pays to be ballsy and know your worth. Mileage could have varied but they saw I'd be a loss and would rather keep me in the organisation and happy elsewhere than let me go and lose a valuable employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,110 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Announcing your intention to leave, but then being induced to stay would not be recommended in most circumstances. It might not make any difference in your specific case, but would not be good advice in general

Why is that exactly? 🤔 I hate the players not the game. Change the players combined with a severe reduction in commute times, stress (smaller location) whilst maintaining same salary, benefits and work elements.

They clearly wanted to retain my skills and do me a solid by taking me out of a massive stress ridden branch and make my life easier? I was under the impression this was what good people do for their employees.

What could you NOT possibly recommend Donald Trump?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,110 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well if promotion or a training opportunity comes up, then perhaps they will be more inclined to invest in the person who they see as dedicated to the company, rather than the one that has already indicated they wanted to leave. Will they give you the important client on the long term project?

It is quite common advice. See for example: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20140619114149-115601827-career-mistakes-1-never-accept-counter-offers-after-you-resign

Does that mean it definitely holds for your specific role? No. That will depend on what you are doing. If you are easily replaced, it actually probably matters less

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭thefa

Fair play, brave move. Hope the new branch works out.

I actually quit a job before without anything lined up and served the minimal notice period of one month. I would be the resilient type but my mental health was taking a toll over the span of a few months due to some really difficult managers.

Had to fashion an answer for interviews to cover myself and it did cost me some bargaining power in the short term. Have a two month gap on my CV which no one notices with a decade plus in experience. 5 years with my new employer now and my third role. It can work out in the right circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

You should be entitled to two consecutive weeks' leave during summer periods regardless of seniority.

Do you need internal clearance / approval for your weekend job?

Yeah but whatever sh*t show they're running in terms of "seniority" and the rotating of "the annual leave book" says otherwise. You can kiss goodbye to any granting of leave between June and August because the dinosaurs have it all sewn up and get first dibs on the peak season to jet off to Lanzarote or Palma contemplating retirement plans there in 5 to 10yrs time!

Yeah full approval granted for external employment by executive management in Dublin. They don't cross paths thankfully. Unsure how any of the above answers my question though?

Update: I'm moving branches and local markets now though to a much quieter branch which hopefully will fix a lot of my current issues highlighted above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Not necessarily. Two weeks consecutive leave during the year.

Yeah 2 consecutive weeks MUST be taken for AML reasons but you're sh*t out of luck if you ask for 2 weeks mid August. You'll be given the same old "oh there's not enough staff to cover that period and we're up the walls with bank holiday weekends". Meanwhile Caroline in accounts has her two weeks cruise bought and paid for by the time January is finished. Lots of humming and hawing with it which is a major detractor of the place. Makes you feel trapped if I'm honest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Very true. I book my holidays early, but tell the lads to get it in early if they have something important on. I don't want to be dealing with conflicts and hearing they've already paid.

• Advertisement

Yeah makes sense but it doesn't matter how much notice is involved here. Possibly a day or two in peak season might be ok after a brief grilling by the manager in charge of annual leave... but no chance of getting 2 weeks back to back because of "staffing" and demand.

Realistically the response here is "sort out your staffing then"

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭delusiondestroyer

The country is awash with work, management in those jobs tend to be... duds really, anyone that barks at there employees or actually believe they are superior to anyone because of there position is usually a terrible manager.

Start looking for a new job and just collect a wage for the time being at your current job, you d be surprised how relaxing it can be when you have no fear of being fired because your leaving anyway and you can stick it to management when ever you feel like they are essentially powerless.

I would advise leaving on the best terms you can even tho the management are pathetic carry yourself with class and give proper notice it will stand too you.

But I would definitely leave far better jobs with better pay and a better culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭backwards_man

As you have a 3 yr old you are entitles to request unpaid parental leave for up to 16 (? maybe 20) weeks, all together or part of it. You need to notify HR and your manager in advance (12 weeks i think) they can refuse the first one on grounds of business needs but have to grant the second one, which you can submit straight away after the first one is refused. Lets say its 3 months notice, that brings you to christmas, you take 4 months off and start looking for a job, if you find one, hand in yout notice, if you dont return after a nice 4 month break. You can cruise till Christmas, keep your head down, block out the crap, do what you need to, you are allowed time off for medical appointments, your manager cant refuse that, but you do need to work back the hours, but everyone does that.

Advertisement