Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a car from Northern Ireland

Options
  • 14-09-2023 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I am currently looking at importing a vehicle from Northern Ireland.

This is 2013 Lexus which is originally a UK mainland registered car but has been in NI since 2015 when it was only 2 years old. My understanding is that if I have proof of the car being in NI since before 2021 then I am not liable to pay VAT and Customs Duty? Is this correct? If so, what documentation is needed to prove this and what is acceptable? The current owner lives just outside Belfast and has this vehicle since July 2022 therefore the V5C shows it registered to his address since that date which is not before 2021. In addition the vehicle comes with a full service history from Belfast lexus and they confirmed that the car has been visiting them yearly since 2015. The online MOT records show that the MOT have been carried out in Belfast since 2018 (the year they started recording it online). As I'm sure you are aware, they will not provide me with previous owners address due to GDPR. The current owner bought it locally near Belfast and the previous owner had the vehicle since before 2021. There is no ferry ticket or transport invoice available due to the car arriving in North nearly 10 years ago.

What else could I get or provide to prove the vehicle being in NI since before 2021 in order to not have to pay VAT and Customes Duty?

Thank you in advance.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

Advertisement