Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed on the road

Options
  • 14-09-2023 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I am not from Ireland so I was wondering, what's the rule here, is there any tolerance for going faster than it is allowed?

If the speed limit is 60 and you drive 65, will you be fined?

Thanks for the information.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭MobileState

In the country where I am coming from, if you go very, very fast, you can be even imprisoned. It's a big difference if you overspending for 5 km, 10 km or 50 km.

I have one more question. Near the school of my daughter, there is a sign that shows you your speed. Plenty cars are passing there 70, 80 or 90 without intention to slow down. Will they be fined? They see that sign for sure, it is very visible but they don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

There is no camera on them well one that checks your number plate and a fine sent out.

Those signs are there to remind you you are driving too fast.

Personally myself I would slow down during times kids are going in and out of the school any other time I would be doing at least 80km/h depending on the type of road etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Most speedometers in cars read slighly faster than you are actually travelling, I was told before that it averages 10%. Having said that if you are clocked doing 65 in a 60 zone it's pretty much up to the Garda to use his/her discretion as the speedgun used will be spot on.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

you need to watch that my speed compared to GPS (phone /sat nav) is pretty much spot on upto 70kmh it the over reads gradually up to about 8% at 100. wouldnt rely on that .

I was going a little bit more than 60 and under 70, I can't know exactly how much because my car doesn't show the number. It's like a clock.

The road was completely empty, no cars, no police, no pedestrians...

How speed cameras on Irish roads look like, is it a "gun" that police officer holds or is it a camera that is permanently present on the road (and working without any police officer)?

• Advertisement

You have a lot to learn about the sneaky tactics employed by those that are instructed to catch motorists driving over the speed limit.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Sometimes, the police is there with camera, I saw them. They are near to that sign that shows you speed. But they are not there often and they were not there this time.

A prime example is an unmarked car hidden from view just inside the 50km speed zone. There are other tactics used as well, safe to say your sweeeping statement in post 9 is way off the reality most drivers are aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The maximum amount a speedo can over read is 10%, not all manufacturers do the 10%. My last car GPS 120 was 126 current car is 124.

If you are clocked doing 65 in a 60 zone your speedo would have shown you that you were speeding.

I just use cruise control when I don't want to exceed the speed limit. I've found that its only on motorways that I'm travelling faster than others, on 30/50/60 roads very few people are staying at the limit.

Advertisement