Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weed Spray/Weed Killer

Options
  • 14-09-2023 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Firstly, apologies if this topic is better suited elsewhere. But my home house is situated adjacent to the farm yard, so I think it qualifies as a farming topic, sort of..

Anyway, I'm looking for a bit of advice on a spray to kill weeds around the house. As we know, this summer the growth has been fairly good, with the unfortunate downside being a proliferation of weeds. Now I'm not advocating for sprays, but I've tried picking, cutting, etc. and eventually conceded to using Gallup. Which I found to me of little use, killed some weeds, but didn't even work on others. And this is after using a higher concentration than that recommended on the label. Maybe sprays just aren't as effective as they used to be, but does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative which may be better? Again, only using this around the yard of the domestic house, and not on plants, hedges, or anything like that. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭anthony500_1

How did you apply the gallop. Was it with a high pressure sprayer even the likes of a simple one from Lidl or Aldi that you pump to build pressure with a nozzle spraying a fine mist or a watering can??? Ideally you want the pressurised system. Gallop will kill everything, it's non selective. By over dosing as you stated you did you could have reduced the effectiveness of the product. If you over dose the product it kills the top growth but not the root, so the weed comes back again in no time..ideally you want a slow kill, so the weed draws the gallop down into the root to get a full kill. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gillamandango

25ml in 1l water usually the rate I apply with a sprayer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

So you have used it before. How effective was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Thanks for the reply. Yep, it was a pressure sprayer, a manual pump/knapsack type. Maybe it was the over dosage so, I hadn't considered the effect it could have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mikeder53

Hey, consider using a vinegar-based weed killer as a more eco-friendly alternative. Mix white vinegar with a small amount of dish soap and spray it directly on weeds. The acetic acid in vinegar acts as a desiccant, drying out the weeds. Be cautious not to spray it on desired plants, as it can harm them too. Additionally, boiling water or a solution of salt and water can be effective for weed control. These alternatives are generally safer for the environment and domestic use compared to some commercial herbicides. Always exercise caution and follow safety guidelines when using any weed control method.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Ive used them but u need weeding as a hobby .They'll keep coming back

Advertisement