Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

we don't get a clear indication of how long they spent making the stuff before putting it in the oven...

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Loyal Lady

All the semifinalists are very likeable

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Ever since Tasha came back from illness, it felt like she hasn't quite been herself. She never really got to the same level before she was ill. Must have been very tight between her and Matty

I never really have a favourite but delighted Matty got to the final. Seems like a very decent fella

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭siblers

A lot of people don't like Dan. He's the most competitive but he's not being obnoxious about it

• Registered Users Posts: 30,187 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Season has gone by fairly fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It really has! I'm a divil for not concentrating properly on these things, but I got a bit of a shock when there was only 4 of them at the start of last night's show.

I was very sorry to see Tasha go, but she was the right one on the night. Agree that Matty seems like a lovely fella, and the epitome of what these shows should be about - a novice going far.

But Josh is galloping up fast on the rail - that showstopper of his last night was just exquisite! He's been so quiet and under the radar, it's hard to know if he's a complete jockey or just very good while not being at all showy about it.

(With all those showstoppers, did anyone else think the pastry layers looked most unappetising? I'm sure they were gorgeous, but they didn't translate visually to my TV screen anyway....)

I can't see Matty winning tbh - I think it'll come down to whoever of Dan and Josh next week's tasks suit better (although didn't someone say Dan's speciality was patisserie? That didn't stop Josh taking Star Baker from under his nose!)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Navy blue

I don’t think Dan will win, he hasn’t been consistent and is very hit and miss. He has been lucky not to be sent home a couple of times. I admire him for trying be innovative with his flavours but as often as not, they just don’t gel together. I think Josh has been consistent while staying under the radar, so I think bar a catastrophe next week, he will win.

Last night was an improvement on previous weeks, but still don’t think the standard is anywhere near as high as previous years.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I agree the standard is not as high as previous years, a lot of showstoppers in the past were very much that but this year (and possibly last year) they weren't really as impressive. Maybe we're getting used to them :)

I would put my money on Josh to win at this stage, I don't think he's ever had a complete disaster he seems to be fairly consistent and his showstopper this week was beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

They're also on series 14 so it could simply be the case that the talent pool is reducing... One would think that the 166* contestants who've already appeared quite likely represent the best of Britain's amateur bakers who can also pass the screen tests etc.

(*the first season only had 10 bakers whilst the rest have had 12)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Ah you got there before me, i was thinking the exact same

• Advertisement

there as atleast 2 times where Josh should have won the episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭DvB

The weird thing is, with Josh looking the most likely winner, for me he hasn't really raised the bar or made me go 'wow' to any of his bakes. Maybe its just a weak year or suchlike as discussed above, but I still cant help thinking no one this year would have kept up with Jurgen or Guiseppe from 2021.

I've enjoyed the season & would like to see Matty win, but if he did he'd be the weakest winner in a long time IMO.

The season has flown by though, feels like it only started a couple of weeks ago.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭Xander10

Probably the nicest bunch

But maybe the weakest bunch of bakers

• Registered Users Posts: 30,187 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I was trying to avoid the winner because I'm watching on plus one. I don't think scrolling will make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wow Mattys fiancé was incredible looking.

Totally meh season for me though, might not bother again.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mam1996

Absolutely thrilled for Matty, he definitely improved hugely from the start. Josh was certainly a fantastic baker but didn't show the same level of consistent improvement and I guess that's what swung it for Matty. Poor Dan had a bit of a nightmare final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭Xander10

delighted for Matty

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

What I loved about this season is it really felt they brought it back to basics and to the bake.

No more ridiculously elaborate bakes or architecture/Masterchef challenges.

Matty was a really worthy winner. As Paul said he really worked to improve each week which is what baking is all about and the wobbly cake aside he got the brief for the Showstopper bang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

Matter deserved the win.

Please no more Noel "I think I'm hilarious " Fielding

look at this table of the rankings from each ep. matt vs josh, clearly josh was better over the whole series https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_British_Bake_Off_(series_14)#Results_summary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

When you look at the data, Josh should have won I think.

I was happy for Matty though (and I wanted him to win). Seems like a lovely guy.

I enjoyed the series overall though. It's still very wholesome TV. Wouldn't mind a new host or two next year though. Alison did OK (and got better as the season went on), but I'm a bit tired of Noel's schtick.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Josh let himself down by playing it way too safe for the final, he's clearly the better baker but didn't show up on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Navy blue

A forgettable finale to a forgettable series. I can’t remember the last time there were so many basic errors and cock-ups in a final. I liked Dan, but soggy eclairs? I mean c’mom, they’re hardly rocket science. And the showstoppers were like something from very early weeks rather the final. They were a lovely bunch though and think that’s the main thing that made it enjoyable this year. I really liked Alison, but agree that Noel is getting seriously annoying. He’s constantly in the contestants faces when they’re stressed. I dont know how he’s avoided a punch to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

definitely more home cooks than the semi professional ones that were around a few years ago.

maybe that's what they are aiming for ?

seems like the taste and quality of the cake won it for matt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭.red.

We paused just before the reveal and both called Matty as the winner.

I think Josh was by far the most consistent all season,

Dan was the best baker but had some very poor weeks where his fancy notions just didn't work.

Matty was always very good and the best baker over the final weekend.

We discussed it in work last week and someone said you can be second or third best every week up to the final and still win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We said something similar previously, you only need to be star baker once to win it.

The show generally has stuck to the 'anyone can win star baker' & 'anyone can go home' on any given week & this final summed that up really, Josh was the more accomplished baker across weeks 1-9 but didn't do himself justice on the last one, Matty did & he won, that's bake off!!

Assume there'll be a christmas & new years special, but haven't seen anything advertised or mentioned recently.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I was sure Josh was going to do it right up until I saw his showstopper up close when Prue and Paul were judging it. It was unfortunately a bit amateur and untidy looking up close and then the flavours and bakes didn't quite hit the mark either. Congrats to Matty and to all 3 finalists, it was a fairly close call between all finalists as I think it is most years. Certainly not a big wow showstopper final though which was a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Honestly I feel Matty's was the best of a bad lot in thr showstopper. I thought Josh's was a bit Fanny Cradock looking visually to be honest!

Christmas special on tonight 8pm

• Advertisement

I'm assuming this was filmed in summer - very prescient of Noel to have his Fairytale of New York geansai on!

Advertisement