Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom ceiling mould

Options
  • 12-09-2023 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭

Firstly this is a problem I've inherited.

We've an internal shower room (toilet ,sink, shower) it's the only shower in the house so used daily. There are no windows and tbh I'm fairly suspect about the fan!

The problem, well one of them, is the ceiling was never painted. It's probably about 15-20+ yrs old at this stage and mould is in the ceiling, not much, mainly close to the walls.

Now I know bleach/vinegar will kill the mould, however if I'm getting ladders etc out to reach the ceiling I may as well paint it too. Better late than never 🙄

I know generally you can water down paint and use that as a primer.....can I still do that with anti mould paint or should I just get a separate primer.

Also if anyone can recommend a good brand/product I'd be grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,850 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Zinnser anti mould paint is a self priming paint that is very good.

Having said that you would be better off to fit a new extractor fan, they only last so long and they are very cheap considering the importance of them.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Yeah I have said that about the fan, but himself sees no issue with it (the fact there's mould is a pretty big clue) , he's a total head in sand. Replacing a fan is beyond my wheelhouse, I can do painting and decorating happily enough.

I try leaving the door open as much as possible, p*ssing against the wind really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

Use it regularly ( decorator)

great tack

but mould needs to be removed and area bone dry first

• Registered Users Posts: 16,460 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I would spray/kill the mould first and give it a couple of days at least before painting.

For Primer, if you really want to be sure nothing will come back, zinsser BIN, it goes on like water (very splashy) but it's a great primer and very little will ever get through it.

Otherwise, maybe a watered down PVA and then paint the anti-mould paint on top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭DC999

We're similar with a very small toilet and mould issues. For use even 1 shower has the walls covered in condensation.

Drying the walls with one of those window cleaner yokes does help as it removes the water that will turn to condensation on the shower walls. Here's one but get the cheapest you available: Beldray BEL0749 Cordless Window Vac – Rechargeable Window Cleaning Set, 60ml Water Tank, Remove Grime and Condensation from Windows, Mirrors and Shower Screens, Lightweight & Compact, White/Turquoise : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen. Or just use the towel you dried yourself with to do it very quickly. That is what I do and works perfectly for the wall space I can reach. Takes maybe 20 seconds tops.

2) Check where the fan is going to. As in is it an external wall? That's what you want. If it's going into the attic, condensation will form there too. Unless it's routed outside the roof via the attic (unlikely I'd guess)

3) Hold a piece of paper flat to the fan and check the paper moves so you can see if it's working. Also worth hoovering the dust and cobwebs from it so works better - turn fan off first

Mould will continue though as there is no natural air flow. So all you can do is minimise it.

If you've a dehumidifier, leave it run in there for a few days after you clean the ceiling so it's dry. Keep well away from water of course.

+1 on the anti mould paint. But if you don't scrape and clean the roof well, it will peel. Part I didn't scrape paint of properly peeled off. Part that is still there is mould free after a year or so. So deffo works as normally we get mould in winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

You may be able to clean the fan in situ, by removing the external cover and just scraping any soap/etc. residue off the blades. Obviously, make sure it is switched off before doing this.

As regards paint, I presume you intend to use a product intended for bathrooms, which should be more mould-resistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Also get a fan with an over-run timer so that the damp air can be extracted for a longer duration.

As far as I know...well at least what I've been told....the fan is connected to the light switch so once light goes on so does the fan.

As no natural light , the light has to be turned on each time the room is used, so by default the fan is on multiple times during the day

An over-run or timer fan is different. It stays running for a period of about 15 to 20 mins after the light is turned off to remove more of the moisture from the air. A humidity controlled fan is even better. Either of these may require some modification to the wiring, but are a basic necessity to control damp issues.

As an example, I have an ensuite with a fan. After a shower or two the relative humidity is 100% and I have condensation on all surfaces. After the light is turned off, that RH has dropped by only 5% and the condensation remains everywhere. If I let the fan run on for 20 mins, it has dropped by another 5%, and remains at about 80%. It would remain at that level for hours as the condensation from the surfaces either works it's way out of the ensuite (through the walls and doors) or until the fan light is turned on again. It's that lingering damp which is causing mold.

For that reason I installed a dehumidifier as I wanted to prevent that moisture from getting into my rooms alongside the ensuite. Not an option for everybody I know, but control of moisture at the source is key to reducing mold right across a property.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Forget anti mould pain or any or that. Get pvc ceiling panels and you are done forever. About 1 hour to put them up.

• Advertisement

...in conjunction with improving the ventilation and humidity control, that is. 😀

There is zero chance he'll agree to that.

I'll be doing well getting the ceiling painted.

There's probably only a 5% chance of fan being replaced.

Guess who is blind to mould and who is the one left cleaning it 🙄🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

If the attic space is very airy, with those air-vent roof tiles allowing outside air to flow freely, is it an option to simply fit an extractor fan into the roof of the bathroom and duct it into the attic space?

That's mad. You would actually be improving the house. Yes the ventilation needs to be address but the thing about the pvc panels is that the mould cant embed itself. You just wipe it away with bleach.

Eventually you are going to see the plasterboard ceiling starting to disintegrate.

I know what you're getting at but that's never recommended as you don't control the humidity levels within the attic and that behaviour can lead to significant other issues later on down the line. Especially considering the fact that any air moved from the bathroom will be moist and warm, so it will immediately settle at the highest point and condense on the coldest surfaces leading to roof rafter rot.

You are preaching to the choir, it's his parents house that he bought (I've no stake in it, though it is the family home)

Refuses to change anything unless it is an absolute necessity.

The room is downstairs so I doubt the vent goes to the attic , I actually don't know where it goes as it's internal....I doubt he knows either.

A better option would be a flexi hose and vent it out the soffit. Wouldn't be too hard to do either. But yeah don't vent straight into the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

most bathroom fans are not powerful enough for the amount of steam being produced on one side and the length of duct on the other side - builders tend install the cheapest one in the wholesalers. A more powerful fan will make a big difference but you also need airflow, i.e. the fan needs to be able to suck in dry air from somewhere so leave it running with the door ajar after your shower. If you want to test if yours is working, put a sheet of toilet paper on it, it should stay there. But that doesn't necessarily show that it's strong enough.

Regarding paint, I repainted our bathroom ceiling with Zinnser Perma-White as recommended above and it really works. I used to have to clean mould off the ceiling every few months, I haven't done it once since repainting a few years ago (though I'm starting to see a few bits around the edge where presumably I didn't manage to get the paint on as thickly).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 glashier

Firstly, I completely agree with the recommendation of using Zinsser Perma-White anti-mold paint. It's an excellent choice for preventing mold from reappearing on your bathroom ceiling.

However, I'd like to emphasize the importance of addressing the root cause of the mold problem, which is the lack of proper ventilation. Installing a new extractor fan or ensuring that the existing one is working efficiently is crucial.

One of the fellow 10-10-20 mentioned using a fan with an overrun timer or a humidity sensor, which is an excellent idea. This ensures that excess moisture is adequately removed from the bathroom, reducing the chances of mold growth.

Moreover, I'd like to add a home decor perspective to this discussion. While addressing the mold issue is essential for the bathroom's functionality and aesthetics, you can also consider incorporating mold-resistant materials and decor elements into your bathroom design.

For instance, you can use moisture-resistant paint not only on the ceiling but also on the walls. Additionally, choosing mold-resistant bathroom tiles and fixtures can further mitigate the problem.

As for Princess Calla's concern about her partner's reluctance to make necessary changes, perhaps showcasing the long-term benefits of these improvements, such as enhanced hygiene and a more pleasant living environment, might help persuade him.

Incorporating home decor elements like mold-resistant materials can both improve the aesthetic appeal of the bathroom and contribute to a healthier living space.

Let's work together to make your bathroom not only mold-free but also a stylish and enjoyable part of your home.

Ah as these things go the nuclear option is being deployed.

I'm going to get the upstairs bathroom redone, absolutely badly needs it. Getting a shower put in upstairs, beside a nice big window.

He's having nothing to do with it too busy pouting.

I'm thinking of going the PVC route for downstairs anyway while I have the guys onsite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Really good!!

Love having a shower upstairs like a normal person 😂😂😂 the gicky carpet is gone, pushed the boat out and got a rain shower!

The team were great, the worst part was having the hall door open all day in November!!

The difference is unreal, shows how shabby the rest of the house is....that's 2024's problem 😂🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Great to hear. I assume you got the vent done as well 🤣🤣

The downstairs vent no, the guy wouldn't touch it....said it should never have been put in , in the first place.....I don't know, but doesn't surprise me.

In the main bathroom, no, himself didn't want one. So opening the window before a shower, even just a crack, then fully open once out and dressed. It will probably cause problems later, will see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭batistuta9

What'd you use to get rid of the mould in the first place

Spray & wait? Have they it all the time or middle isle item

think it might have been a middle-aisle thing but Woodies have an equivalent. I sprayed on and wiped off, the bottle suggest leaving it for 15 minutes but that doesn't really work with a ceiling, it just drips off. You can alway respray if it doesn't clean up the mould first time out.

Yeah ceilings are a bitch, tried the baking soda paste but most of it was fall down too ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭DC999

Eye protection too. So it's in vapour form, and above your head

Advertisement